Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart Previews - Renames my files on the import!? Argh

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I am tearing my hair out following various bloggers instructions on how to work with smart previews so i can send a catalogue across to someone on the other side of my city to edit for me.

Firstly, is there a tutorial I am missing on here on the basic how to with clear instruction?

Secondly, we have stumbled through the process however I just imported the edited previews and all the file names are now epically long!? Arghh.

I don't think it even resembles the original name. What happened!?

I need the original file names to track my kiddos. What a nightmare. Can I salvage this or will I have to juggle my way through and how do I prevent this happening again.

ALSO, the images look incredibly pixelated, like oversharpened on settings that would not normally look fine. Is there something else I am missing here too?

Thank you kindly!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Try this method-

{A} is you.

{B} is the person on the other side of the city.

1. {A} selects some images from the master catalog and does File > Export as Catalog. Check (Smart Previews), but not negatives (originals) It will generate a catalog with {A’s} work done and a folder of smart previews.
  2. Zip the Exported Catalog and Smart Previews folder.
  3. Send the zip file to {B} (DropBox or email)
  4. {B} unzips and opens the Exported Catalog with Lightroom.  (Double-click on the Catalog.LRCAT file)
  5. {B} edits images

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did the person that edited them change the names?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, she just exported as a catalogue. I have just messaged her to ask if she noticed the name change when she imported, or if this has happened on her export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't normally work with smart preview but I just created some. They do get a long numerical and letter character name.

2FC9952B-C11A-4F17-9C8D-37E2216DBF76.dng

You should take the Preview folder that they sent back to you and copy the files over the top of your Smart Previews folder.

But that might be a little hard. I just created smart previews for 5 files. 3 subfolder were created in my S P folder and then in 2 of those 3 subfolder 2 other sub subfolders were created and in the other subfolder 1 sub subfolder was created. In each of those sub subfolders was one image smart Preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy moly that sounds hectic!!! haha We are talking 3000+ images, so there's got to be a better way right. But thank you so much for testing it out!

Good to know it wasn't an "error" as such.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this method-

{A} is you.

{B} is the person on the other side of the city.

1. {A} selects some images from the master catalog and does File > Export as Catalog. Check (Smart Previews), but not negatives (originals) It will generate a catalog with {A’s} work done and a folder of smart previews.
  2. Zip the Exported Catalog and Smart Previews folder.
  3. Send the zip file to {B} (DropBox or email)
  4. {B} unzips and opens the Exported Catalog with Lightroom.  (Double-click on the Catalog.LRCAT file)
  5. {B} edits images, then needs only to 'Zip' the Catalog (and ONLY the Catalog!) and send it back to {A}
  6. {A} now uses File > Import from Another Catalog to bring the extra work done by {B} back from the ‘Exported’ Catalog into {A’s} master catalog.

(Note: Requires both {A} and {B} to have equivalent Lightroom versions)

There is no "Importing" of any images or files involved in this process (other than your {A} initial Master catalog file import)

All the filenames (like 2FC9952B-C11A-4F17-9C8D-37E2216DBF76.dng) are the preview references for the Smart Previews. You never need to look at or import these files. Consider them as a cache folder of Previews only and NOT actual image files.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WONDERFUL WobertC​ !! I am excited to try this, thank you!!! Sounds great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, quick q WobertC​ , does that mean then, to undo my last import of the funny name files, can I just go previous import, remove files? Seems like the right thing to do:

Lightroom says: "The original files can not be deleted because they are missing or on a volume that is offline.  386 virtual copies will also be removed."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can I just go previous import, remove files?

I believe you can do this. Select all the files with the long (preview) filenames, and "Delete from Disk"

There was no need to Import the "Edited Previews". All the edits are contained in the catalog that gets shared with the other person.

I assume you have the 'Original' images also in the Catalog Library, yes? Your 'Original' files with camera filenames must still be in the catalog (and they are the files that have the created smart preveiws).

Lightroom says: "The original files can not be deleted because they are missing or on a volume that is offline.

Now this is another problem!  If you did import the shared DNGs, where are they now? What process did you use to "Import" the Preview DNGs?

As I see it-  You no longer need ANY Smart Previews of any kind. You will merge the shared Catalog with your master Catalog (by the Import from another Catalog) and all the edits done by your "other person" will be applied to your Original files and their ordinary previews.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic!! Thank you, just finally getting to this now. 2 hour download, so will see!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, We are still struggling with this. Is there a video tutorial or anything else you can refer us to on doing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Can you be more specific with your "struggling". What stumbling blocks have you encountered?

A Youtube link is Lightroom 5 Smart Previews Tutorial - Outsource Your Editing - YouTube

This video by DaveB is mostly about sending to the other editor.

DaveB uses Photomechanic for initial culling, so you can ignore the video up to 3min30secs, after which DaveB goes with the workflow of creating a totally new {Catalog for Editing} 'from scratch' for the photos to send to the editor. If your photos are already imported into your "Master" catalog then YOU would take the "Export as a Catalog" method (Step 1. below) to achieve the same result with just the photos you want edited in a new {Catalog for Editing}.

DaveB mentions very briefly that your Editor need only send back the {Catalog for Editing} (Step 4. below)

Depending whether you follow DaveB's method or my suggestions, the {Catalog for Editing} that returns to you should either-

a) Replace the {Catalog for Editing} as created by DaveB and opened with Lightroom. or-

b) Do Step 6. in Post#4  to bring the edits by {B} back into your Master Catalog from the {Catalog for Editing}.

A similar scenario is used to create a Catalog on two computers using the same "Export Catalog" method and Dropbox.

Sync Lightroom Catalog using dropbox and smart previews - YouTube

AshleyN gives his method (not the best of narrators) but the principles of his method can be used by you if you conbsider his laptop as your remote editor.

I will summarize my steps again if it makes it easier to understand-

1. {A} select images and Menu: File > Export as Catalog. Check to include (Smart Previews).
  2. Send the {Catalog for Editing} & Smart Previews folder to {B}
  3. {B}  opens the {Catalog for Editing} with Lightroom, edits images,
  4. {B} sends ONLY the {Catalog for Editing} back to {A}
  5. {A} does File > Import from Another Catalog to merge the {Catalog for Editing} into master catalog.

This is all harder to explain then it is to actually do, but when you get it going you will wonder why you thought it so hard!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU so much for your time!

We did a test catalogue with only 10 shots and it worked, brilliant, easy.

So it must just be our first catalogue, we have done so much with it that its a mess somehow.

i have sent these instructions to my girl B, and hopefully she can figure out whats happened on her end.

Otherwise, she is manually syncing each preview image with the funny name but the edit settings that is showing in the catalogue with the original image that is for some reason sitting next to it..

I know it sounds painful but she says she has almost finished, and from here in we hope we have it right!?

Thank you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

my girl B, and hopefully she can figure out whats happened on her end.

Otherwise, she is manually syncing each preview image with the funny name but the edit settings that is showing in the catalogue with the original image that is for some reason sitting next to it..

Your "Girl B"  does NOT have to "sync" anything!

Girl B simply -

1) 'Opens' the {Catalog for Editing.LRCAT} by double-clicking on the {Catalog for Editing.LRCAT} file.

2) Does all the edits (based on looking at the Smart Previews you sent with the Catalog).  All her editing is recorded IN THE CATALOG- NOT in any Smart previews. NOTHING is to be done to the Smart Previews!

3) When finished editing she simply sends you the {Catalog for Editing.LRCAT} file (nothing else).  All the edits are in this Catalog that you get back.

Nice to hear that your test catalog was successful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines