• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Very complex background removing

Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, im working on urchins photos and im trying to cut them out of their backround. i tried with the channels to remove it, but it didnt go well.

can anyone tell me how to do it prefect?

thank you

913724.jpg1200px-Eucidaris_metularia.jpg2018-03-25.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

spike.png

Another approach for this image is to experiment with Image > Calculations to create a mask. In the sample above, the Calculations was followed by a Curves adjustment and brushwork In the center of the object. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, thanks for helping..that what i tired to do in the picture above, its just dosnt come clean as i wished for in this way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not just use a selection path with a slight softness to it to cut out these subjects? Takes a couple of minutes, but any automated method will need a lot of cleanup anyway. Our eyes are much better in this case.

Here is a rough version I managed in two minutes. Added a quick drop shadow with a mask as well. (Drop shadow needs more work, though). Used NIK Sharpener to add more contrast and detail.

urchin.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi! thanks for your answer, can you explain me how to do the shadow with the mask? im thinking maybe to work hard with the pen tool, and then adding the shadow because it looks much better  this way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually, I used the pen tool to create the layer mask for that example. The drop-shadow is just a copy of the original, with a layer effect overlay with black,, converted to a smart object to which  I then added a layer mask and a gaussian blur filter. I then used the brush with black to get rid of the unwanted shadow parts at the top and sides, and used a light grey brush in the layer mask to adjust the shadow a bit. I did that bit very quickly, so it's okay-ish, but not that great looking yet.

And I used Google NIK Sharpener to add more texture and focus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or you can try it using Pen Tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How important is it to you to get a really clean selection to knock out the background? If it is very important, use Omar.Fathy's suggestion, the Pen tool.

The Pen is time-consuming, but there's not enough contrast to get a truly clean selection using any of the other methods, and any other method will require a fair amount of tedious cleanup afterwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines