• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What pixel size document & resolution is best to start the following composite image?

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several high resolution photos I'll be stitching together to make a composite image and will have more of a panoramic view when finished. The photos being stitched together will be cropped, masked, edited, moved around, etc.

What pixel size and resolution should I create the document in Photoshop to start this project?

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

That's difficult to answer that question, it depends on so many factors: on your original image sizes, the number of images you want to use, how much you are reducing the size (cropping) the size of the original images and the dimensions you want your finished composite to be, and is it for screen use or for printing?

By the way, when you've finished your composite image you may want to produce the final as (say) a JPG for printing at a bureau, uploading to a website or for passing on to friends,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just stack them and run "Auto-align". The canvas will expand as needed.

You can then blend manually, or run "Auto-blend". If the latter, don't resize until the layers are merged! If you do you'll get faint but visible mask edges. Merge/flatten first, then resize if required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's difficult to answer that question, it depends on so many factors: on your original image sizes, the number of images you want to use, how much you are reducing the size (cropping) the size of the original images and the dimensions you want your finished composite to be, and is it for screen use or for printing?

By the way, when you've finished your composite image you may want to produce the final as (say) a JPG for printing at a bureau, uploading to a website or for passing on to friends, make sure you keep the original layered PSD file because in the future you may want to make further changes to it and and once you've flattened it you can't!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, your 2nd paragraph summed it up best for me. That's a big help, thank you. I suppose I'll just have to figure out what I want to do with the final when it's done (print, website view, etc.). Great point on layered PSD files. I normally keep everything in layers as much as possible and keep backups prior to flattening, so making changes in the future shouldn't be a problem. I've been doing composites for about a year now but this is one that I really need to nail, so I figured I'd better get on this forum and ask some of the gurus to get me started on the right path. Thanks for saving my butt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lynda.com have just published a new online video tutorial for beginners on creating composites with Photoshop (you can get a 30-day free trial): Photoshop Layers: Working with Multiple Photos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines