Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Catalog Preferences

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have some questions that I have not been able to find the answer to, and I have looked. 

I want to create a new Catalog in Lightroom Classic CC, but I want to use the Preference from an existing Catalog.  I have found the .plist file and opened it in a robust text editor (TextWrangler) to see if it was a straight forward edit.  It did not appear to be.

Here are my questions:

1) Is there a setting or procedure that will let me assign a new Catalog to an existing set of Preferences?

If yes, great, please explain.  If no, read on please.

2) Is the .plist file compiled either on the fly or some other way, or is it a text file that is parsed?

3) If the .plist file can be edited, what is the parameter or setting that points to the Catalog?  Is it then turned into a variable or is it hardcoded into the file?

4) Is the simplest way to do this involve creating a new Catalog, making my customizations and saving it.  Then when a new Catalog is needed, opening that Catalog 'template' and renaming it to the current Project?  Are there any pitfalls to this approach?

That's it.  I have a great deal of customizations that I use for every project, (each Project is a separate Catalog.  I know, I know.  It just works for me as the Projects can get Huge. (+500 GB)  It would be great if I did not have to completely replicate all my settings each time I want to create a new Catalog.

Thank you for any help that you can give me on this.  Kinda driving me crazy, in an OCD sorta way.

Thanks,

Michael

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, the plist file contains the general Lightroom settings, or have you found a .plist file with the name of the catalog?

I would think that using an empty catalog as 'template' should be the easiest method by far.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is only one Preferences file for LR. So when you create a new catalog is should carry over whatever your preferences are set to. At least that is how it has worked on my system right now.

That is other than the Lightroom Sync settings as IIRC they are stored in another folder called Sync Data  and in another folder called Sync.lrdata.

The reason that is separate is because you can only sync to the web/mobile system from one catalog at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a preference file that contains the general Lightroom preferences, but of course each catalog also has its own catalog settings. That is what the OP is looking for. AFAIK, these setting are stored inside the catalog file, however. Not in a separate plist file.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a Preferences dialog, and file, and a Catalog Settings dialog. The OP said Preferences. They are the same for every catalog created as there is only one LR Preferences file. Change the preferences in one catalog and that get changed in another catalog you open, whether old or new catalog.

Catalog Settings are store with each catalog and there is a Default template used when creating a new catalog. I don't know anyway of modifying the Default Catalog Settings. So if it is the Catalog Settings dialog he want to be the same I don't think that is going to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the OP said 'Preferences', but from the context of his question (and the title of this thread) I assume he means the catalog settings.

He can achieve what he wants by making a 'catalog template'. Create a new catalog, change the settings the way you want, and use a copy of this (empty) catalog each time you want to start again with a new catalog.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK whatever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines