• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Upgrading" from LR 4.x have a few ??'s

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, still running LR 4.x (latest version of it).  I was waiting for "7" to see if there was going to be a stand-alone version when 6 seemed to be near EOL but nothing had been announced yet on any kind of new version.  Now that it's for sure subscription only I'm thinking of caving and grabbing the 20GB $10/month subscription since I'd get a new version of Photoshop as well and could get rid of my old CS3 version.  I'm wondering though I'm assuming with the classic CC version there is a way to just use local storage?  Or is that not the case?  I really have no need for cloud storage for my photos.  I'm just doing amateur photography and everything is on my PC plus an external HD for backups and once in a while I do a DVD burn as well.  Are there any issues I should be aware of upgrading to/importing a catalog from 4.x to 7?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

When you install LR Classic CC V7 and open it for the first time IF your LR 4 catalog is on that computer LR C CC should find it, tell you it needs to be upgraded, Click yes or OK to continue, a copy of the LR 4 catalog will be made and that copy will be upgraded.

If your LR 4 catalog isn't on that computer you can copy it over and then in LR select File > Open Catalog and point it to the LR catalog and the same process as above will kick in.

Have all your images located in the same folders they w

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic always uses local storage. It is simply version 7 of the Lightroom you know, but paid for by a subscription.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome thanks so much.  Any input on importing/migrating/whatever my LR4 catalog?  LR4 was my first version of it so I've never upgraded to a new major version before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you install LR Classic CC V7 and open it for the first time IF your LR 4 catalog is on that computer LR C CC should find it, tell you it needs to be upgraded, Click yes or OK to continue, a copy of the LR 4 catalog will be made and that copy will be upgraded.

If your LR 4 catalog isn't on that computer you can copy it over and then in LR select File > Open Catalog and point it to the LR catalog and the same process as above will kick in.

Have all your images located in the same folders they were in when imported into LR 4 and you should be good to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks.  Should I uninstall 4.x first before putting Classic CC on?  I'm pretty familiar with opening catalogs since mine is not in the default location and I've done a few windows reinstalls since getting 4.x a few years back.  I'm also debating whether to hold off a couple months since I really like Scott Kelby's books and just found the Classic CC one won't be out for a couple months and I'm sure settings/tools have changed a lot in 3 versions (but I could be wrong).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to uninstall previous versions of Lightroom.

The LR 4 tools have hardly changed at all, whatever you learned in LR 4 probably still applies (although new tools have been added).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by installing the Creative Cloud desktop. From the Apps tab you can install both LR & PS.

After installation you can also launch by clicking the “Open” button – see image below.

All future updates are also delivered via CC desktop.

https://www.adobe.com/uk/creativecloud/desktop-app.html

LR&PS.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks guys went ahead and bought it today and installed both Photoshop and LR Classic CC (got rid of PS CS3 first).  Definitely impressed by the LR upgrade process.  Besides copying and upgrading the catalog file (which now takes 1/2 the space of a LR 4.x file) it also seems like it imported all my presets and such which is great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines