• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open older PS files. Recommendations for Recovery software?

Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac Pro, running OS10.13.3, and using PSCC2018. I'm an illustrator, and I use my older work as fodder for new jobs, assuming I can get at it. In most cases I can, but I have one large folder on an archive disk that won't yield up any of its contents. That's regardless of file type or age. Some are ca. 2006, 2009, or newer. The problem seems to be confined to this one folder. I have two other MacBooks, so I may be able to equip one with an older version of OS10 and/or an older Photoshop version, if necessary. Can anybody suggest a way to rescue these images?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think an old PS version will do anything one way or another - but OTOH you have nothing to lose, so by all means try it.

Opening old files is almost never a problem. I have files dating back much longer than that, and have never seen any problems.

More likely the folder has been corrupted in some way. Try to copy some files individually over to another machine, and see if they'll open there. Or can't you get into the folder at all? In that case it's an OS thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest removing applications from the equation, and simply seeing whether you can open the folder to review the contents.  If you can't open the folder then the folder might be corrupt, or you could have a permissions issue.

If the folder opens and you can view the contents, then I suggest try opening from within an application.  Ie:  File>Open

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

messrs Fosse & Lavine: I tried that and it didn't work. I tried opening the files with Photoshop, Sketchbook Pro, and even -ugh-Preview. Even Preview couldn't open them. They were in a folder shifted from a previous disk, now stashed on a 6TB archive disk, and that folder alone was inaccessible. Everything around it: No problem. So I sprung for a photo recovery app that sort of works. I'm not going to name it because it has some problems. But it does recover the images. Once I find out whether the problems I have with it are due to my own ineptitude, or, rather, that the app is a buggy kludge, I'll send an update. Thanks, anyway, for considering the problem. These forums are always my first resource.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines