• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re-ordering-photos-in-Collection Error

Engaged ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone else have this problem? In the latest (and previous) versions of LR, I go about re-ordering photos within a collection (GUI is a little stiff and clumsy, but that's for another post) it works for a while, then returns the error message, something like "you can't reorder photos that aren't in the collection already" (I'm loosely paraphrasing). Reordering then ceases to work at all and I have to restart LR to get the feature working again.

Pretty annoying...I thought they squashed this bug.

P.S. The only reason that I have to reorder these 600+ photos in the first place is that LR failed to import the photos from my SD card, so I had to use Windows to import directly, which messed up the filenames and metadata from my 3 cameras. Sort of a double problem here...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

I also understand that sub-folders must be hidden with a parent folder or it would be moving photos on disk (presumably) and not within a set.

I feel compelled to reply to this statement because it makes no sense at all in the context of the original question.(Re: Collection Sort)

You cannot "move" photos on a disk by anything done in a "Collections" panel view.

Collections are only lists of photos you have gathered together for a purpose (like a grocery shopping list- Bread from aisle A, coffee fr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"You can't reorder photos that aren't in the collection already"

I would like to see the exact wording for the error message you are viewing, even post a screen-clip of the error message.

Also confirm that you are working in a Lightroom COLLECTION (and not a Folder).

Note that you cannot Custom Sort photos if you are viewing a Collection SET.

And cannot Custom Sort in a FOLDER, it there are sub-folders within the Folder selected (depending on option "Show photos in sub-folders").

To drag photos to a Custom Sort in a Collection, you need to drag by clicking the mouse cursor centrally on a preview image, and not the grey border.

I do not have the sort problem you are trying to describe but would like to see you arrive at an answer.

Creating Custom Sort Orders in Lightroom - YouTube

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the time to reproduce the error message right now, but if it happens again I'll get the exact wording and post it here. I can confirm that I'm working within a collection (not a folder or collection set). I can reorganize the photos for a while until I can't anymore (when LR gives me the error message).

I also understand that sub-folders must be hidden with a parent folder or it would be moving photos on disk (presumably) and not within a set.

I'll keep troubleshooting and see if I can reproduce the error message. Thanks for your reply.

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I feel compelled to reply to this statement because it makes no sense at all in the context of the original question.(Re: Collection Sort)

You cannot "move" photos on a disk by anything done in a "Collections" panel view.

Collections are only lists of photos you have gathered together for a purpose (like a grocery shopping list- Bread from aisle A, coffee from aisle C, Milk from aisle G, etc.).

Moving photos into a Custom Order in a Collection does not affect the photos on the hard-drive in any way whatsoever, it only affects the order of your list (Milk, Bread, Coffee, etc)

Collections are not Folders- there is no connection.

The statement quoted above suggests you are confusing Collections with Folders. (The Folders panel DOES show and allow "moving" photos on the disk.)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines