• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Customizing keyboard layer selection shortcut (no 0 option listed)

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am currently customizing my shortcuts in After Effects because I do not have a numeral pad, I just have the standard row of numbers above my letters on my laptop. I am currently changing the layer selection shortcut (which is just typing the numeral attached to the layer), but realized there is no option for 0 which means I can't quickly jump to layer 10, 20, 30, ect. Does anyone know a workaround to this issue? Also, if there is an option to quickly change the keyboard type that you are using so that the shortcuts update quickly. For instance toggling to a keyboard layout that does not have the numeral pad so I don't have to replace each shortcut that says "1 (Num)" with "1".  Below is a screenshot of the issue I found in the shortcut customization window.

Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 7.34.52 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Use saved Keyboard Shortcut presets to switch between different types of keyboard layouts. I suggest you change the default keyboard shortcuts if you intend to visit the shortcuts UI often. Mine is set to ALT+F1.

I am also suggesting that you set Layer Selection shortcuts to only select the first (1), fifth (5) and tenth (10). Once you select these layers, you only need to use CTRL+up/down Arrow keys to select immediate layers, above/below, respectively. This way, you leave the other shortcuts a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use saved Keyboard Shortcut presets to switch between different types of keyboard layouts. I suggest you change the default keyboard shortcuts if you intend to visit the shortcuts UI often. Mine is set to ALT+F1.

I am also suggesting that you set Layer Selection shortcuts to only select the first (1), fifth (5) and tenth (10). Once you select these layers, you only need to use CTRL+up/down Arrow keys to select immediate layers, above/below, respectively. This way, you leave the other shortcuts available for other Commands. IOW, setting aside ten shortcuts just for selecting layers is not prudent.

Here's a link to a PDF which I wrote on AE's Keyboard Shortcuts Visualizer (KSV). Other than tips, there are close to a hundred new shortcuts/Commands that are now easily accessible; thanks to the KSV.
http://www.broadcastGEMs.com/mediaserver01/AE_CC2018_KSV_March2018_v01X.pdf

http://www.broadcastGEMs.com/mediaserver01/AE_CC2018_KSV_March2018_v01X.pdf

Let me know if you'd like access to my shortcuts file.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines