• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does PS create a hidden layer if "Delete Cropped Pixels" is unchecked for Crop Tool

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Photoshop create a hidden layer when of the file when it's opened or whenever the Crop Tool is used with the "Delete Cropped Pixels" option checked?

I noticed that after opening a file, if I select the crop tool with "Delete Cropped Pixels" option unchecked and make a crop, that "Flatten Image" is available on the Layers Menu, even though only one layer is displayed in the Layers Pallet? Apparently, there must be another hidden layer, or "Flatten Image" wouldn't be available! In addition, if I click the "X" to the left of the file name to close it, the file "Save" options are limited to only file types that can save multiple layer files. Although, I can access all file types by using the "Save AS" option.

But if I crop the image with the "Delete Cropped Pixels" option checked, and make a crop, that "Flatten Image" is not available on the Layers Menu nor am I limited to only file types that can save multiple layer files when I click the "X" to the left of the file name to close it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Flatten image does more than merge all the layers, which is why it is a separate function to merge layers.  You will find that if you merge layers (Ctrl E) that Flatten Layers will still be available (not greyed out).  Flatten is useful if you want to save a number of documents as JPGs after performing edits on them.  If you finish with merge layers, it will want to save as a PSD unless you force the JPG.  However, if you finish with Flatten image, then it can default to saving as a JPG.  So a g

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flatten image does more than merge all the layers, which is why it is a separate function to merge layers.  You will find that if you merge layers (Ctrl E) that Flatten Layers will still be available (not greyed out).  Flatten is useful if you want to save a number of documents as JPGs after performing edits on them.  If you finish with merge layers, it will want to save as a PSD unless you force the JPG.  However, if you finish with Flatten image, then it can default to saving as a JPG.  So a good way to finish an action you use to batch process a number of images.

Does that help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's not a hidden layer. What happens is that your background layer is changed into a normal layer. That is why you can now 'flatten' the image, which will change this normal layer back to a background layer and delete the cropped pixels after all.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines