• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot unmerge files

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2009 Jan 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a problem unmerging my two help files. When I build the help in my !SSL! directory, it seems to be fine. I then copy the help file over to my application's install directory to test the help and I notice that the help has now become merged again. To try and fix this, I did the following:
- I made sure that the .chw file has been deleted from my application's install directory before copying the help over, but it keeps reappearing after deleting it.
- I checked my RoboHelp directory and noticed that my .hhp file has a reference to a [MERGE] file even after deleting it before compiling it. The reference keeps reappearing and I'm not sure why.

- I

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the TOC of the parent, have you removed the reference to the child?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Yes I deleted the reference in the parent's TOC. Just to be sure, I also deleted the .chm from my baggage files directory and, still, when I build the help, the merged help is there. Note that this only seems to occur once I paste it into a directory where the child help resides. However, the directory I'm copying the help to does not have any references to the .chw file so I'm not sure why the help becomes merged.

Any other ideas? Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No sorry, merged webhelp is my area. It was just a longshot pending someone else coming in.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2009 Jan 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you use a find and replace tool (RH's own tool would suffice) to search for an instance of the merged CHM in your project files. Odds on, something has been left behind. Also check that the baggage files and the [MERGE] section of the HHP file took your changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2009 Jan 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I searched through my project files directory but found no references to the CHM. There's also no reference to the CHM in the baggage files.

Every time I generate the build, I need to check if my hhp has taken the changes. More often than not, I need to delete the reference in there before I generate the build, otherwise it will keep showing up in my build. I have no idea why the [MERGE] section keeps referencing a file I deleted. (Sigh).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2009 Jan 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried renaming the .cpd file and reopening the project after you have (once again) removed the CHM reference from the .hhp file? If this doesn't work, there must be a reference to the CHM file somewhere to add it back. Did you look through ALL the project files, not just the HTM files? What tool did you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 01, 2009 Feb 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Do you by any chance have your project in source control of some sort? I've found that with source control (at least, VSS), the merged files are added into the <mergedhelpfiles> tag of the xpj file. I assume this is then used to re-populate the cpd and hhp files. It also doesn't seem very accurate with adding and removing the merged files after a while.

Try closing the project and deleting any references to unwanted chm files in the xpj. I think you also have to delete the cpd file before you reopen the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp