• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing to 11x17 Paper from Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Photoshop CC19.0, and trying to print out a picture on 11x17 paper.  The only issue is that Photoshop only seems to offer or think I'm printing to an 8.5x11 sheet.  I can't find any options anywhere to change the size of the paper I want to print on.  The print settings button will bring up the printer's own dialog box, but that doesn't seem to have any effect on the outcome, because I can select the paper size, tray, and settings there and once I hit done to accept them and return to Photoshop's dialog box, it's still set to and displaying cropped on the same 8.5x11 page.  It will print on the 11x17 paper I selected, but it's still cropped as if it was on an 8.5x11.  Can someone help me out here?  I must be missing something but I don't see what or where.

TLDR; how do I change the paper size on the left grey pane to be 11x17, and not 8.5x11.
Tno options 1.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

I'll have to apologize for not "reading for understanding". Your printer is set for 11 x 17 paper and Photoshop does not see or communicate with that setting, defaulting to letter size. I have to go right now, but others run into this, so here's a thread on it and these are Xerox models. Can't say if it will fix the problem or not, but have a look. Lots of promising information from other suffering Xerox users.

Photoshop: CS5 won't print to 11"x17" | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use large format paper close to 11 x 17 and the problem I see is that you clicked on the "Landscape" button where the Portrait button to the left should be used. If I click on Landscape with my B4 size paper in my Brother MFC-6920DW, that's exactly what I see.

What I do instead is select Portrait and rotate the image 90 degrees via the Image > Rotate command and set the print that way. If you have an involved layered PSD, simply duplicate and Rotate that image as a copy and print from it.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However if you have a lot of Landscape printing to do, you can set up a Custom Preset when you want to use the Landscape button.

Click Print Settiings

First from the Paper Size Dropdown menu, choose Manage Custom Sizes.

Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 6.57.31 PM.png

Next, (might vary on a PC), but I click the + button to add a custom size and layout.

Here I've set up my Landscape dimensions and since I can use Borderless, I set my margiins to 0, and save the results by clicking OK.

I then see my preset in the paper size menu, and select that first before selecting the Landscape button.

Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 6.58.05 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you click on Print Settings? Seems like page setup should be located there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Theresa, it seems you did not properly set the page size in the print settings. Look at the top of the image area. It tells you the paper size that is set for printing. Make sure you go into print settings and choose the appropriate page size.

IMG_0193.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does nothing, as I explained in my original post.  I can go into the printer setting and change it to whatever they should be and hit ok.  It closes and goes back to the Photoshop print settings window, and it still thinks it's 8.5x11.  The printer settings do nothing to modify what Photoshop seems to think I'm printing on.  Printing anyway you get the "image is larger than the paper's printable area; some clipping will occur" message.  It will print on the correct size paper, but cut off where it would if you had actually used 8.5x11.itdoesnothing1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try setting the output destination manually. My printer has multiple paper trays and if I don’t tell it which tray to use it defaults to the top tray which coincidentally enough always has 8.5x11 paper installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other thing I usually have to do is change the paper size on the printer’s little lcd control panel so that it knows I’ve loaded a new size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The printer knows what size the paper is.  This is literally only an issue in Photoshop.  Not InDesign, Acrobat, Illustrator, or anything else.  Changing the printing settings anywhere will still result in the print out being clipped as if it was printing on an 8.5x11, regardless of what size paper it prints on or is told that it is printing to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then for the sake of getting work done, switch to portrait in Photoshop's Print Wizard and rotate your image 90 degrees, or hand off the printing to Adobe Illustrator or perhaps InDesign.

I notice your tray is Auto. If you have letter size in one of them, try manually setting the tray to the one that holds the tabloid.

Have you tried Home - Customer Support Forum or a Xerox support center? They may know more about this.

Also as a CC member you have access to and permission to install and use earlier versions of Photoshop. So if there is a bug in 19, you could use 18.1.3 until it is addressed. Most here do this, they keep an earlier version around in case there's a problem with the current version.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, as I said, I can manually set it to any tray but that doesn't affect how it prints out, even on 11x17 paper it still crops it as if was on an 8.5x11 page.  Also, rotating the canvas changes nothing, as it's still too big to fit on an 8.5x11 page in either portrait or landscape mode.  I can easily print from InDesign or Illustrator, but the color matches better from Photoshop (for color photos, the example is obviously black and white) so that was my preferred go to.

I'll probably just reinstall an older version of Photoshop to get around the issue though.  The print drivers should all be up to date and as I said, literally only Photoshop has this issue.  Thanks for the help everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have to apologize for not "reading for understanding". Your printer is set for 11 x 17 paper and Photoshop does not see or communicate with that setting, defaulting to letter size. I have to go right now, but others run into this, so here's a thread on it and these are Xerox models. Can't say if it will fix the problem or not, but have a look. Lots of promising information from other suffering Xerox users.

Photoshop: CS5 won't print to 11"x17" | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That did the trick!  I can't believe the solution is buried so deep in the printer settings, and has to be changed in two places.  No wonder I couldn't get it to work.  That is some extremely intuitive/user friendly stuff right there, especially considering how simple it is in every other Adobe product and Photoshop itself in past versions.  Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines