Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop running slow

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If I create huge designs for a website with many layers I have trouble with the performance.

My specs:

• I7 2600k
  • 16gb of RAM
  • OS/PS/Scratch disk is on a SSD (40gb free space)
  • GTX 1080 or GTX 750
    I tried both graphics but did not realize any difference. So I Think I will stay with the  gtx 750 because of the price.

PS Document:

• Width: 1936px
  • Height. 6063px
  • DPI/PPI: 72
  • Layers: 225 (53 folder)
  • Efficience: ~100%

Problem:

Rotating or moving text or a layer or a group is very very slow. It feels like 5 fps if I do something and is absolutely not smooth.

If I rotate or move something the CPU usage is like 30% and graphics about 5%. I do still have 7gb of free (unused) ram. PS use only 1.5gb of ram for this document.

Why is eveything so slow?

What can I do to improve the performance of PS?

Even if I reduce the amount of layers for testing to 25 its not very fast.
Drawing is always very fast and feels pretty good (I dont need it).

Thank you for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fabian,

We're sorry to hear about the performance issue with Photoshop, could you please let us know which operating system you're working on?

Also, please have a look at this article and try the steps mentioned on it, and let us know how it goes: Optimize performance Photoshop CC

Regards,

Sahil Chawla

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Windows 10.

Thank you for the link "Optimize performance Photoshop CC" but I already read the whole page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a massive file - why are you working so large for a website? I make digital scrapbooks which make huge files (12x24" at 300ppi), but even then they are not nearly as large as what you are describing. I make each file a 2 page spread. Can you break it up into smaller documents? And... I'm assuming if you do work with smaller documents PS works just fine?

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well the (1936 x 6063 px) is just the size of the website I created.

There is no (usefull) way for me to reduce the document. I already use included smart objects for the header and footer section.

I have 2 drawing areas in my document (one for mobile view and another one for desktop view). I always disable one of them. But actually i would like to see them side by side and not disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try reducing the document size (where possible by working in vectors and not pixels.  So make smart objects and or place illustrator files, then rasterize at the last step. 

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the hint.

I could use illustrator but I would like to continue my work with PS and keep my workflow. This is the most effective way for me to work so I am not sure if its the right way to change my workflow. I should upgrade my PC if needed, but I would like to know what the problem is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS:

Well the (1936 x 6063 px) is just the size of the website I created.

But I tink this is not large. Even a normal picture from my dslr camera is larger and has a higher resolution.

It should not be a problem to create a document with the size of 6000x2000 px right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case it's not a pixel count issue, the problem is the ammount of pixels the computer is being asked to push, ie layers of pixelated images or graphis.  So I'm not suggesting you change the website size but just reducing the amount of pixels your asking the computer to manage and substitute those with vectors which are easier to manage. 

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if I change everything to smart objects I am not flexible and it is not so easy to change the design of a particular object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating smart objects can be undone at any time.  Simply choose Layer / Rasterize Smart object and your back in business.  Then make a smart object out of it again when your done. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok i did not manage to do that. Lets say I have 10 layers and convert them into 1 smart object. If I rasterize the smart object after that, I will lose all my layers etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you rasterize a smart object you lose all of your layers. To get into a smart object to make a change, you simply double click on the layer thumbnail. It will open in a new window with all of your layers intact. Make your change, save and close. Are you using artboards  - one for your mobile version and one for your desktop version? You can split your design into 2 documents that way. I agree with the vector suggestion - anything that can be done in Illustrator and as vectors will help.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Creating smart objects can be undone at any time."

So its not possible?

I know I can double click the smart object but than I have to edit it alone without the rest of the design.

And yes, I have 2 artboards in one document. The first for mobile view and the second for desktop.

Unfortunately all this suggestions change my normal workflow. I guess I have to upgrade my PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rasterization is not always necessary but...For some types of editing one must rasterize the smart object to make the change

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines