Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't erase certain pixels outside or inside of a selection I've made

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm having a little problem- I can't seem to erase a bunch of pixels that outline my drawing, even after I select the whole image in the layer I'm editing. Whether the selection is inversed or not, these pixels won't go away. This is an odd problem to describe in words so I've included a picture and indicated my problem in red. Anyone know how to fix this? Note: Before this happened, I had resized the image (made it bigger), so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. This odd line of pixels, a little outside and a little inside of the selection line, won't go away. As you can see I tried erasing some of the image.

Capture.PNG

I really wanted to erase the outside of this selection of the outline of my drawing, to make it look less fuzzy since I resized it. I'm not sure what's up. I'm fairly new to photoshop. (When I resized it I used the bicubic smooth / preserve details feature which really helped, but I'd still like to make the edges look a little more solid.)

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you got a feather set on your selection ?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly I'm not sure how feathering even works. How should I use it?

Another note: I didn't select it using the rectangle or lasso or any selection tool like that, I held 'control' and clicked the layer so that I could select the whole image within that layer. So the selection is basically the entire outline of the image that's in the layer. I don't know if that has anything to do with it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check that you are using right type of eraser tool on the top left corner of your workspace

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select manually the whole part, because layer autoselection with ctrl may not select the entire outline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selecting it manually made it work- that odd grey outline of pixels goes away when I use the eraser tool- but I'm confused as to why autoselecting it within the layer doesn't make it work. It would make it so much more convenient so I don't have to trace my selection all the way around the image by myself and possibly make a mistake...the autoselect gets it perfectly and instantly. I just can't figure out why there is an outline of fuzzy pixels that doesn't get erased even though I am using the eraser tool on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another picture...

Capture2.PNG.jpg

The blue circles indicate where I stopped trying to erase the outside of the selection. But as you can see even where I erased there's still some fuzzy pixels that are on the outside of the selection. All I want is a hard edge but I'm very confused as to why that small line of pixels won't go away, and why they're there just slightly on the inside and slightly on the outside of the selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I understand when we do autoselection it selects right on the edge of the layer and the pixels that you couldn't erase were left under the line of the selection, not inside of it you may erase only when they are inside the selection line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, so you're saying that those pixels I can't erase when I autoselect in the layer are "underneath" the selection line as opposed to inside or outside? Whereas if I select it manually all of the pixels are either inside or outside of the selection line?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your selection has a soft  feathered edge, and that is what you are seeing that is ‘left behind’ when you try to erase. The problem with selections is that the ’marching ants’ can’t show the gray areas created from a soft edge.

You can change to the ‘Quick Mask’ mode to view the selection as an alpha which is pixels and will show the soft edge. Use the Q key to switch to Quick Mask to view the soft edge, then Q again to return to a selection. You can’t erase your image though when you are in Quick Mask. It is just so you can see what is going on.

My YouTube tutorial about the Quick Mask might help explain this better

How To Use Photoshop's Quick Mask Mode - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Theresa, I've started using quick mask more and it's been helpful. I still can't figure out how to get rid of the feather, though, on this document. Everywhere I see a feather option, it's already set to zero, so I can't figure out where it's coming from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it’s because the edge you are selecting is soft and feathered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you may save the file and close it, open and try again and make sure that no feather in the selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here are my 2 cents How to Erase With Hard Edges Using Selection in Photoshop - YouTube

Note: you can reopen Levels multiple times if you have any gray pixel leftover.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines