• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Button doesn't stop audio/playhead, even with "Continue Playing the Project" unchecked

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a button on several projects that is set to Open a URL in a new window. Ideally, when someone clicks on the button, I want the presentation to pause (slide advancement and audio) until they return and press the play button. The "Continue Playing the Project" button is unchecked, but the project continues playing. Is there something else I should be doing in addition to unchecking "Continue Playing the Project"?

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 9.10.29 AM.png  Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 9.10.53 AM.png  Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 9.11.07 AM.png  Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 9.11.20 AM.png

Here are the settings for the button. I'm using Captivate 2017 and previewing/publishing HTML5.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Hello,

I am not sure if you are still having this issue, but if so I would suggest setting up an advanced action to solve this problem. I solved a similar problem like this before by converting my link into a button and creating its own action which had the following: 

• Pause
  • Open URL or File (In New Window)
  • Hide Pause Button
  • Show Play Button 

For my play button, it would have a simple continue action attached. In practice, it's always picked right back up for me from where it was paused at. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you talk about Slide audio, it will not be stopped until you check 'Stop Slide Audio' under the Options Tab of the button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Lilybiri! I've experimented with the "Stop Slide Audio" box before. It does stop the slide audio, but when I return and press play, there is silence for the remainder of the slide. Once it advances to the next slide, audio plays again. Historically (when we were using Flash), we've had the button show for the entirety of the slide, since the audio picked back up where it was paused. Perhaps the solution is to not have the button display until the audio we want people to listen to is over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, it is not necessary to stop slide audio in this case, just double-checked for HTML output. Everything works for me as expected, so I'm wondering what is going awry for you. Since the length of the audio defines the length of the slide, and both Playhead and audio are stopped when you uncheck the option 'Continue Playing Project' while opening an URL in a New window, you shouldn't have troubles with that setup.  Can you try to insert a text container with the var 'cpInfoCurrentFrame' to check? I didin't publish my example, just Previewed HTML in Browser (F11).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added a text container with the var 'cpInfoCurrentFrame'. When I previewed in the browser, the number (Does this represent the playhead? I haven't done this before) stopped but the audio continued to play. In fact, the audio continued on to the next slide, but the slide did not advance.

If I repeat this "Stop Slide Audio [When Clicked]" selected, the audio stops and the number in the text container stops. When I click play to resume, just the number resumes. The audio doesn't return until we move forward to the next slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange, I really double-checked myself and I didn't have to pause the slide audio, it was paused automatically when I unchecked the option to Continue Playing Project, and opening URL in a new window.

That variales shows the frame number, I use it all the time when trying to get the Timeline doing what I want. You can have a look at some of my blog posts about TImeline, and maybe this interactive movies:

Captivate'sTimeline

PauseTypes

I hope you are talking about slide audio, and that you take care to leave a small gap before and after the audio timeline:

AudioGap.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help, Lilybiri! It's helpful to know that unchecking "continue playing the project" should be working as I expected, so I'll keep exploring.

(And yes, I was talking about slide audio. I haven't been leaving spaces at the beginning and end. I added the spaces in, but it doesn't seem to have affected this case.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am not sure if you are still having this issue, but if so I would suggest setting up an advanced action to solve this problem. I solved a similar problem like this before by converting my link into a button and creating its own action which had the following: 

• Pause
  • Open URL or File (In New Window)
  • Hide Pause Button
  • Show Play Button 

For my play button, it would have a simple continue action attached. In practice, it's always picked right back up for me from where it was paused at. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We can use advanced actions to pause the slide along with the audio here. This will work for SWF and HTML outputs.

We can assign value 1 to the variable cmCmndPause through advanced action. It will pause the slide along with the audio. Here is how this will look.

Pause slide.PNG

The play button on the playbar can be used to resume the project. This will resume the audio and the slide from where we have paused it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a tip: since a couple of versions (8?° you don't need to toggle the cpCmndPause anymore. There is a Pause command and a Continue command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi victoriak23188594, Debiprasad, and Lilybiri! Thanks for your help. I worked with Adobe this morning, and they confirmed that Advanced Actions (cpCmndPause/Pause, with an optional second button for play as Victoria suggested) is the best way to create the effect I was trying to create, as unchecking Continue Playing the Project doesn't work with HTML5 lectures. I'm adjusting our practices now. I appreciate all your ideas!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is up to you but I always use Toggle buttons, much more user friendly. If you really want to stick with the old command that toggles the cpCmndPause, you have to remember that to resume you have to use cpCmndResume. That is the reason I mentioned that it is much better to use the state of the art commands 'Pause' and 'Continue' instead of that very old workflow.  Since Mutlistate objects appeared I never use two images anymore, but states to show the present status of Play or Pause. Watch thism ovie:

PauseTypes

You'll see such a multistate button for Play/Pause and also have the experience that not all audio can be paused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources