• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to hide outline of a picture in Premiere Pro.

Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sample.png

I am going to make a video of drawing something (like lion, zebra and etc) in a paper. Since i am not good at drawing, i decided to get the outline sketch like above from online and make printout, and i draw over the line, this i will capture using my camera and make a video. And, in the video edit, is it possible to remove the outline and show to the user that as if i am drawing on my own, not over the predefined outline. Is it possible to do in Adobe Premiere? If not premiere, what software can do this? Please advise.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Yes, this belongs in the AE forum.  I'd move it, but don't have privileges to do it.

ashoka:

Are you looking for what would look like live action footage of your hand drawing the artwork?  That's going to be much more involved.

Or are you looking for a stylized animation of a hand holding a marker?  That can be done building on what I've started, but it gets pretty involved and time consuming.

sample_lion_with_pen_300x300.gif

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ashoka16432853,

AfterEffects will be the right application to accomplish this effect. You can find many tutorials online.

Thanks,

Vidya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ashoka16432853:

If you convert your line art image to vector paths in Adobe Illustrator, you can copy and paste those to a Solid Layer in Adobe After Effects, apply the Stroke effect and then animated the stroke (or the line) appearing from start to finish. 

It's intermediate level work, but could be a good inspiration to get better at AI and AE.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another approach is the "Write-On" effect in After Effects which will work with the artwork as posted in the original post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ashok: Please report back which answer works for you best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder - if you printed the outline in say bright green, then in Premiere apply a ChromaKey to make green lines "invisible", using white layer beneath? Would be quick and easy to at least try.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, that's worth a try.

I was thinking about PR only ways to approach this.

Some type of Luma Matte or Gradient Wipe comes to mind.

Doing an image sequence that builds one image after another to progressively reveal the line segments until the drawing is complete also comes to mind. The first image might have just the lion's rear left foot.  Then the next image might have just the rear left foot and rear right foot.  Then the next image might have the rear left foot, rear right foot and tail.  These images could then be assembled in the Timeline with a Cross Dissolve or Wipe (probably with a soft edge) to simulate the lines of the image being drawn.  This would, of course, mean going into Photoshop or similar image editing application to generate the image sequence.

Still, AE will have the cleanest result.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we go!

sample_lion_300x300_256.gif

Quick run-down:

1. Trace line art image in Illustrator as Fills and again as Strokes.
  2. Expand resulting Strokes to get paths that can be copied to an After Effects Solid Layer.
  3. Save layered AI file.
  4. Import layered AI file into After Effects as a Comp.
  5. Create new Solid Layer.
  6. Copy and paste expanded Strokes from AI to AE (paste action results in AI paths becoming AE Layer Masks).
  7. Apply Stroke effect to Solid Layer in After Effects.
  8. Keyframe the End parameter for the Stroke effect from 0% to 100%.
  9. Set the Track Matte setting for the AI Fills layer to "Alpha Matte" with the Solid layer in front of the AI Fills layer.
  10. Adjust timing and the Brush Size parameter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warren,

That is super-amazing! However, it seemed that the OP wanted to make it appear as if his hand is doing the drawing so while cool, this solution might not suit his needs. We will see. But very cool tutorial and results, might have to try this myself!

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Warren,

Thanks for your effort and sharing the ideas. I am new to Adobe family, my questions may seems silly, please dont mind. What you have done is matching my needs to the maximum, but can we get our hand also in the scene. I want to show to the user that as if i am drawing the picture. Is it possible? Please share your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MIght want to head over to AE forum and post your question there. Premiere is not the tool.

After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this belongs in the AE forum.  I'd move it, but don't have privileges to do it.

ashoka:

Are you looking for what would look like live action footage of your hand drawing the artwork?  That's going to be much more involved.

Or are you looking for a stylized animation of a hand holding a marker?  That can be done building on what I've started, but it gets pretty involved and time consuming.

sample_lion_with_pen_300x300.gif

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fantastic job, Warren. Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines