• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Application still calling up old Help

Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2009 Feb 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've taken out the .cnt and .hlp files and added the .chm file to the application files. I uninstalled and reinstalled the application, and it still shows the old Help! Has anyone had this problem before? Might the application have a cache that needs to be cleared? How can we permanently substitute the new Microsoft HTML Help for the old WinHelp?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

If the old help is still showing, obviously something is amiss, no?

You say that you have removed the .CNT and .HLP files. But from where? Did you simply delete them from your PC? Or are you also the person responsible for developing the installer application for installing your company's application and help?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I removed the .CNT and .HLP files from the folder containing the app files. They are still on my computer but in a separate folder on the C:\ drive rather than in the app folder in Program Files. Do they need to be completely removed from my PC?

No, I don't develop the installer app. Would that app point to the old Help? Our developer thought that simply replacing the Help files would suffice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Indeed if you are using an application to install your company's application, it will need to be aware of your new files. So you need to get your CHM file(s) into the hands of the person that maintains that application.

However, I'm guessing that once you cross this hurdle, you will likely STILL have an issue. Here's why.

Your developer's statement of: Our developer thought that simply replacing the Help files would suffice. is worrisome, to say the least. This is because if you are switching from WinHelp (.HLP and .CNT files) to Compiled HTML Help (.CHM files) the calls issued from the application will most likely change.

Let's step away from the help arena for a bit and step into a different realm that may help you to better visualize/understand things. Consider that your application is like an electric stove. When the help is opened, the stove is expecting to use electricity. The problem here is one of connections. Essentially you have replaced the old help (electricity) with a new type of hep (natural gas). As a result, you must now run a gas line and change the stove (your application) so that it understands how to use natural gas.

In other words, it's never as simple as dropping a .CHM in where a .HLP existed and expecting it to work. The application needs to understand it is looking now for a .CHM instead. And your developer should know that.

Cheers and good luck... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

That makes sense, even without the stove illustration. Unfortunately, our developer inherited this project as did I and doesn't fully understand how the Help files work with the app files. You're right, he should know that, but he doesn't. And he is the one who maintains the install app as well. I'll try to talk to him again. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Grace,

Just to add that it ought to be fairly quick and straightforward for your developer to change the old WinHelp API calls to HTML Help API calls. Microsoft modelled the HTML Help API on the WinHelp API in order to simplify the process of updating existing applications from WinHelp to HTML Help.

For example, a typical WinHelp API command looks like this:

WinHelp(HWnd, "helpfile.hlp", HELP_CONTEXT, 1001)

The HTML Help API equivalent is almost the same:

HtmlHelp(HWnd, "helpfile.chm", HH_HELP_CONTEXT, 1001)

Perhaps the following resources will help your developer:

http://www.mshelpwiki.com/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=HTMLHelpArticles
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms524256(VS.85).aspx

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Pete! I'll pass this on to him.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2009 Feb 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our developer has been unsuccessful calling the .CHM help file within our application. He has added the new library, changed the path to the Help file, specified that he wants to use the HTML Help, and changed the call from WinHelp to HTML Help. He still gets a general error message when he tries to launch the Help, saying it cannot be opened.

What are we missing? What's the solution? Or, barring that, how about some ideas as to what the problem is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Feb 19, 2009 Feb 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is linked to another thread. Click here to view the linked thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 20, 2009 Feb 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Grace,

If you can find out which programming language the developer is using, we may be able to point him towards specific code samples, documentation, etc.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pete,

Thanks for responding. I should have mentioned...C++

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Grace,

As I understand it, your developer has to link to the library file (Htmlhelp.lib), and include the file Htmlhelp.h in his program. These files come with HTML Help Workshop, if he doesn't already have them.

Here are some links to resources that may help:

HTML Help MFC Code Sample
"Connecting HTML Help to C++/MFC Programs" white paper
Microsoft: "How to set up Visual C++ to use the HTML Help API"

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2009 Feb 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I replied to this last week but don't see the reply listed. Thanks, Pete. Our developer added the library, but I don't think he'd added the Htmlhelp.h file. The links look helpful. I passed everything on to him. Will let you know if it still doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp