• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC - Can't Mix Footage on Timeline

Participant ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to mix footage from my DJI Mavic drone, and my Canon 5D MK III. Ultimately, I want to make presets for 1080p, 2K and 4K footage, all 2.39:1 and be able to edit both Canon and DJI clips on the same timeline.

The Mavic footage has no audio. If I load it into Premiere Pro CC and click properties, I get this:

File Path: \DJI Mavic.MOV
Type: MPEG Movie
File Size: 51.59 MB
Image Size: 1920 x 1080
Frame Rate: 29.97
Total Duration: 00:00:10:22
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0
VR Projection: None

The Canon 5D MK III footage has these properties:

File Path: Canon 5D.MOV
Type: MPEG Movie
File Size: 15.91 MB
Image Size: 1920 x 1080
Frame Rate: 29.97
Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo
Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
Total Duration: 00;00;04;08
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0
VR Projection: None

As you can see, the only difference is the audio.

If I create a project and load in the two clips, and then drag the Canon footage on to the the timeline area, it creates a sequence which works for both the Canon and Mavic clips.

If right click on the sequence and chose settings, it says the Editing Mode is "ARRI Cinema" and the Channel Format and Number of Channels are both grayed out. The audio sample rate is 48000Hz, as expected.

So... I want to change the sequence setting to create a 2.39:1 "canvas" preset. To do this, I change the frame size to 1920x810, and click ok.

PP says the previews have to be deleted, which is fine. But now I can't drag another copy of the Canon footage to that sequence!  PP won't let me! The sequence is now useless for the Canon footage, but the DJI footage can still be loaded!

Going the other way, If I start a new project, load in the two clips, and start a new sequence by dragging the DJI Mavic footage onto the timeline, I can't then add the Canon footage.

I sent my project to a friend, and he was able to drag one of the clips to a blank timeline, and add the other clip, and vice versa, and change the frame size in the sequence setting with no problems at all! He is able mix and match the clips to any timeline, and change the frame size! I figured something is wrong with my PP CC installation, so I uninstalled it, including the preferences, and reinstalled, but I still have the same problem.

This is not a problem with just DJI Mavic Pro and Canon 5D clips. It happen with all kinds of footage. My installation of CC just doesn't allow me to freely mix footage.

Here a couple of clips (nothing exciting), should you want to experiment: Dropbox - Clips.zip

Here's a screen shot of what's happening on my installation of PP CC:

I've had this problem since day one, and it's really annoying. I didn't know, until recently, that I should be able to do this... now I want to find out how to fix this problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

I think I found the solution online!

After starting a new project and importing the clips, I drag the DJI footage to create a new sequence and timeline (starting this way would always give me trouble)

When I do this, Video track #1 (V1) is highlighted in blue, but V2, V3 etc is not (PP CC automatically enables the three audio tracks by default).

If I click V2 to highlight it, I can now drag the Canon footage to the timeline!

As we say in Jolly Old England... What the Royal F??!!

Why does a second VI

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more piece of information...

I also have Adobe Production Premium CS6 installed, and I can freely mix and match footage, and change the frame size of the sequence in CS6, so it's clearly something to do with the installation of CC... but if uninstalling and reinstalling PP CC didn't fix it, I don't know what will?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think I found the solution online!

After starting a new project and importing the clips, I drag the DJI footage to create a new sequence and timeline (starting this way would always give me trouble)

When I do this, Video track #1 (V1) is highlighted in blue, but V2, V3 etc is not (PP CC automatically enables the three audio tracks by default).

If I click V2 to highlight it, I can now drag the Canon footage to the timeline!

As we say in Jolly Old England... What the Royal F??!!

Why does a second VIDEO track need to be enabled, just to be able to drag a single video with stereo sound to the timeline?

Further update: Having enabled V2 in one project, I have not needed to do this in any subsequent projects. It's like having once highlighted/enabled V2 in one project, it has toggled a switch in my installation of PP CC... a switch which is now staying on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines