• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brushes Not Applying to Other tools and Folder Issue

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I reinstalled photoshop recently and now my brushes are weirdly organized into folders when clicking on the tool.

Is there a way to get rid of this? It makes all my brushes weirdly parsed and distributed and hard to just look at all of them at the same time.

Also, now when I click on a brush tool or change it, it cannot be applied to other tools because of this. So if I click on the eraser tool and then click change eraser tool shape by selecting a brush, it reverts to the brush tool.

HELP! I need to be able to fix this for my job. Strangely, the photoshop for my work computer does not have this issue, and I am afraid to update it for fear of this happening to it as well.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't lost any presets.  It's just that the right click panel can now show tool presets as well as brush presets, and we have a ton of extra presets from Kyle Webster.  Set the right click menu to show everything, for the time being at least

You will then get an indication of which presets are for other tools, and be able to avoid them.

Stick with it, and I think you might get to like it because it is way more powerful.  You can drag presets into a favourites folder/set and organise to make it convenient to use.

If you use a lot of brush sets, what I do is rename them in File Explorer so that they display in alphabetical order by meaningful names.  I leave enough of the original name to identify them, but prefix with a word like stars, clouds, cracks, flares hair, skin etc.  This makes way faster finding a set when you have a lot of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brushes can now have an associated tool preset, which means that when you switch to the brush you also switch to the associated tool.

You can override that by Ctrl+Alt+Clicking a brush (Cmd+Opt+Click on Mac). This will load the brush without changing tools.

As Trevor showed, you can see which brushes have the associated tool preset by checking "Show Additional Prest info" in the brush panel options.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, I had no idea how to make it so I dont change the preset. Is there a way to revert is back at all? Or is this just the way it is forever now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could save a copy of each brush without the tool preset but that would need you to go through each brush in turn. Ctrl+Alt+Click is easier.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2019 Apr 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi; I've had this exact frustration and have been equally as frustrated by the idea that holding down Command+Option for the rest of my professional life is a satisfactory solution (or that it's reasonable to suggest that I manually, one-by-one, re-define the hundreds of custom brushes I already have, just with the "Include Tool Settings" box unchecked.)

I've started a thread on the PS feedback site with a feature request of giving us a way to turn off this feature altogether, or to toggle this function off of our existing brush presets without having to re-define them (and preferably being able to do so in batches and not one by one!) Toggle "Include Tool Settings" on Existing Brush Presets | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines