• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

will you go back to selling your software and cut this cloud crap?

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moderator moved from The Lounge to Photoshop.]

I have been a photoshop user for many years but have not used it for several years dueto health issues.  coming back t it witha new machine and windows 10.   my photoshop 6 is crashing often. I was looking to buy an updated version of creative suite, but I'm not signing up to a subscription model. I guess affinity photo will be good enough!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two ideas that MAY work to install and/or run old programs in Windows 10

-RIGHT click the program icon or EXE and select a compatibility mode in the pop up option window

-or Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 to assign FULL Windows permissions may help... this says Encore, but is sometimes required for ALL Adobe programs (this is NOT the same as using an Administrator account) so follow the instructions for your specific program

Do not count on Windows to be fully up to date when it comes to device drivers

Go to the vendor site to be sure you have an updated driver for your graphic adapter

•nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

•ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

There are also intermittent reports that the newest driver is not always the best driver due to driver bugs or compatibility issues, so you MAY need to try an earlier driver version

If the above does not work, you will have to stop using what you have due to compatibility problems with an old program and Win10

Or, buy Photoshop Elements which uses a serial number and has been upgraded to work with Win10

Adobe switched to a subscription model for most programs about 5 years ago... I think the odds of switching back are near zero

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do not count on Windows to be fully up to date when it comes to device drivers

just to add that there is a bug in the last couple of Adobe cc apps which causes this driver to be misread on systems with two G-cards i.e, an Intel chip + graphics laptop (these tend to be Windows systems but the bug comes from Adobe) and this Bug asigns the intel chip Vram instead of the G-card Vram... in short it makes 3d stop running

Screenshot (741).png

the current work around is just to shut Photoshop down and reopen it...

Screenshot (742).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a lot of advantages to the subscription model.  1) you can use CC software on Win, Mac or both.  It's not platform specific like the old days.  2) you get updates immediately if you want them.  Under the old model, we had to wait 18 months for new releases & bug fixes. 

The Photography Plan (LR + LR Classic + Photoshop) is the best deal around for $9.99/month.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no reason why CS6 shouldn't be perfectly stable with a new install of Windows 10.  If you like, we can help you pin down what the problem is, and you can carry on using CS6.

The first thing I would try is to turn off GPU acceleration in Preferences > Performance.  If that fixes the crashes, then you know where to look for the problem.  It might be as simple as updating the video card driver.  This is especially relevant with a new system, which is likely to be using a generic driver from Microsoft rather than a driver from the card maker.

http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2012/07/photoshop-basic-troubleshooting-steps-to-fix-most-issues.h...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines