• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Achieve a monocolor effect without loosing black parts of the picture?

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, I really searched and tried a lot to do something like that, but I could't. Blending the layers, I loose the black parts of the picture, just the ones I want to keep!

Do you know how to achieve this effect? Thanks a lot in advance, and I poollogize if the question is already done (send me the link, please). Kind regards, @Velmock.FONDO Y GRBADO 2.jpegFONDO COLOR Y GRABADO.jpeg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Hi,

Another way could be use an alpha channel selection:

Adobe Photoshop CC Masking with Channels - YouTube

This would enable you to isolate the characters on their own Layer turn them Black and white by going: Image> Adjustments > Black and white. Be sure your file colourmode is RGB.

Or you could use a Black and white gradient map like Dave Suggested.

The main point it that the Alpha channel selection will give the flexibility of having a Black and white foreground image and a background colour of

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Try using a gradient map adjustment layer and set the gradient from black to the required colour

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks a lot, but the effect I achive is not the same as the pictures I sent... Maybe I am doing something wrong!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may need to adjust the gradient. Can you put an image up as an example.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, Dave and thanks a lot for your attention.

I did attached 2 images, can you see them?

Now I attach the one I would like to convert, the goal is to keep just the black parts and tint the rest on dark pink.PIECES 2.jpgBut as you can see, even the black parts are tinted. I want that:

FONDO COLOR Y GRABADO.jpeg

Please, let me know if you can see all the pics, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you put up the untinted image

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Another way could be use an alpha channel selection:

Adobe Photoshop CC Masking with Channels - YouTube

This would enable you to isolate the characters on their own Layer turn them Black and white by going: Image> Adjustments > Black and white. Be sure your file colourmode is RGB.

Or you could use a Black and white gradient map like Dave Suggested.

The main point it that the Alpha channel selection will give the flexibility of having a Black and white foreground image and a background colour of your choice on a separate Layer.

I hope this helps!

Sim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks lot, Sim, I will try this... but I need a little of time to watch the tutorial and find where is the alfa channel .

Thanks also to Dave, I will keep trying, but I am searching this effects months ago and I hoped it was going to be easier...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried but I am not getting the right effect, and it seems to be easy, or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say 'not the right effect.'

Do you mean in terms of the alpha channel selection or the colour contrast you trying to achieve?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alfa channel didn't work properly, I wonder if it needs a filter, like sumi_e.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thin I got it! I tried with the alfa channels again. Thanks a lot!!!

Kind regards,

@velmock

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Nice one for sticking with it!!

I am glad I could help!!!

Sim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A variation on Sim's alpha channel method would be to use two Solid Color layers, one for the black image and the other for the background color. In that case you can easily change the foreground and background colors via a color picker.

When you make a new Solid Color layer a mask channel is included, so here the bottom layer is the mint color with nothing in the mask channel, and the top layer is a black Solid Color layer with the inverted image pasted in the mask channel.

Option-clicking the layer's mask icon lets you paste into or edit the mask.

Screen Shot.png

You can adjust the background and foreground colors by double-clicking one of the layers.

Screen Shot 1.png

Screen Shot 2.png

Showing the top layer's mask channel:

Screen Shot 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, Rob. I am trying this right now. How did you get the mask?

mask.JPG

what I have now.JPG

thank yoy very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy your image.

Option-click the mask icon in your top layer which will make it the active channel, then paste your image and invert it (Image>Adjustments>Invert).

Also drag the green color layer so that it is underneath the masked black layer:

Untitled-1.png

Here's a zip archive with my example:

Dropbox - maskcolorarchive.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also after you have pasted and inverted the mask image, click the solid color icon to the left of the mask icon in order to return to the RGB preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy and paste are inactive all the time. The thing is that I can't achieve to make this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am stuck here:

Stucked here.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded your file, I think I have to study a lot

Now I have the layers but I don't know still how to create the mask (invert is easy, but I mean how to paste it to the mask). Ok, I will work on it, and tell you the results.

I really apreciate your help and the time you've wasted in me, thanks again,

@velmock

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layer Masks can be a bit tricky to learn. You have to pay attention to what's targeted

So a Color Fill layer has two parts the color layer on the left and the layer's mask on the right. Here I've clicked on the left icon so it is the target—the target has a black outline. In the Channels panel the Color Fill 1 Mask is hidden. In this case if I were to paste an object, it would not go into the mask channel but a new layer would be created instead.

Screen Shot 5.png

If I click on the right mask icon the mask is targeted, but I can't paste or edit the mask because it is hidden in the Channels panel.

Screen Shot 6.png

If I Option-Click a layer mask it becomes the target and is visible, so I can now paste into or edit the mask

Screen Shot 7.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, I tried what you tell me. But maybe it is my copy of photoshop, but I follow step by step what you say (using the .psd you sent me), but the options cut and paste are never active.

This is the reason I never cut and paste when using photoshop, althought I am able to do advanced things on it (visit please www.velmock.com). It should be a great advantage for me if I could use these but I think it is not possible, so I can not use the masks.

Thanks a lot for you help,

@velmock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you made a selection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, ups... I feel terrible! I didn't made a selection, what a stupid thing! Now I achieved to paste it, Rob. But the result is strange, look:

Captura maskcolor.JPG

I think I will manage it now that I am able to cut and paste . You really helped me a lot, kind regards,

@velmock

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines