• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to create a snapshot based off a virtual copy?

Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created virtual copies of a couple dozen images in order to do some specific editing and cropping on them. I've exported and delivered them, and I no longer need the virtual copies. I can delete them, but I'd prefer to hang onto them just in case. However, I don't want them cluttering my catalog. In hindsight I should have used snapshots instead of VC's, but it's too late now.

But what I'm wondering is can I take all the develop settings that I've applied to the VC's, and create snapshots on the original images based on those VC settings. This would allow me to delete the VC's but I'd still have of their settings as snapshots in case I ever needed to go back to them.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Absolutely (though I don't know any way to automate that, and would be interested to hear of such).

A snapshot is held in common across the master copy and the virtual copy / copies. It forms part of the standard XMP metadata that can be written externally (along with the current settings of the master copy).

If there is a virtual copy of which you like the processing MORE than that of the master copy, you can simply switch these. Photo menu / "Set Copy as Master". What was the master copy before,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely (though I don't know any way to automate that, and would be interested to hear of such).

A snapshot is held in common across the master copy and the virtual copy / copies. It forms part of the standard XMP metadata that can be written externally (along with the current settings of the master copy).

If there is a virtual copy of which you like the processing MORE than that of the master copy, you can simply switch these. Photo menu / "Set Copy as Master". What was the master copy before, now becomes a virtual copy.

But personally, I see no issue with having VCs around, You don't have to add versions you don't want to Collections and you can use ratings etc to take control of multiple image versions just as you would with alternate exposures of the same subject. And, stacking works a treat for hiding all but the preferred one. Whether that preferred one is a master or a VC is IMO kind of secondary. And either sort can form the basis for an external edit, at which point that earlier distinction becomes moot.

In one sense, all images in LR are virtual! It is merely an administrative by-product that one image version always has to sit in this privileged position of "master" copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OMG I had no idea snapshots are common across VC's, such an obvious answer. Thanks so much for replying, this is exactly what I needed.

And yes everything you said about keeping VC's around is totally correct. And, I'd personally rather not keep them. Snapshots will work better for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Writing a Snapshot on a VC also writes it to the master copy, so you can create your snapshot with the VC and delete it.

Matt Dawson has a donationware plug-in called Snapshotter that lets you bulk apply snapshots: Snapshotter - Working with Develop Snapshots in Lightroom

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines