• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit over under 3D 360 footage in After Effects?

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I want to use After Effects' great tools for removing shadows and other artefacts from my video - however the files I want to edit and apply filters to, etc. are in Over Under stereoscopic format.

Firstly, I want to remove shadows I cast of myself from my footage; secondly I have some filters and overlays I want to apply to the footage.

I cannot see how I can tell AE where the left eye (top half) ends and the right eye (bottom half) begins, so I can edit both in tendem and get the result I want. I bought the Mettle Skybox Studio V2 but that doesn't seem to allow for this type of editing stereoscopically - unless I've miused something?

I can't see how I can alter the rendering of these files to separate the left eye and right eye components to edit separately, either.

Does anyone have experience of using AE or plugins and other software to allow me to manipulate stereoscopic video? Any recommendations welcome!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying this footage is shot both 3D AND 360?  What camera does that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave, I am working with Humaneyes' new Vuze Camera - basically, four pairs of lenses (left eye/right eye), around a small flying saucer, and delivering 4K 3D 360 video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Theo,

I don't have an answer for you but I've just started playing with my Vuze camera this weekend.  I've been trying to edit the footage in Premiere without much luck.  To be fair, I haven't really explored too much; I'm still trying to figure out how to shoot well!

Have you thought about using Grass Valley's Edius?  I know it has extensive 3D capabilities (not sure how it handles 360 though)

Allynn

[email address removed by moderator - please don't post your private information on a public forum]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Theo JW,

Did you ever solve this issue? Please let us know if you did or if you still need help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin. No, I still haven't got to the bottom of this and am back on the case! Having great success with Premiere Pro for some aspects of my editing, but I want to mask out my own shadow in my 360 3D video, and I can't find any How To's that cover both 360 and 3D over/under at the same time for After Effects; everyone covers one subject or the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin

I’m still reaching out for support on this issue. Can you help me?

I have three issues in play concurrently:

1. Trying to apply effects and post production to 360 video (Remove shadows and artefacts).

2. Trying to apply the same edits described in 1 but simultaneously to the over and under elements of 3D 360 equirectangular Video.

3. Removing shadows and artefacts from 3D 360 video as described in 2, but where the camera position is NOT locked off (action camera moving through a live scene).

I canot find any advice online or elsewhere that applies to all three aspects. I cannot be the only film maker in VR who wants to remove shadow from 360 action cam footage, so any solution for me will no doubt be a godsend to the wider Adobe user community.

(I’m happy to work with your team to user test your solutions for these 3 issues if that helps, as they will prove invaluable to Adobe for VR film makers.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Theo,

I also have the human eyes Vuze camera and am having the fundamental issue with after effects ingesting the over/under footage! I must have played with every After Effect Immersive Video Preset and Effect", Composition Settings-VR (creating vr environments and extract cubemap), and the VR comp editor script. I've spent days of searching youtube videos on the subject. And nothing, I've found, behaves correctly for footage shot over under 360/3d for the vuze camera footage.

I came here for an answer too.

However, there are cheats if you are overlaying vr motion graphics designed in after effects and staged in Premier Pro. Since premier pro does well with the VUZE's over/under footage. Design your motion graphics flat in After Effects import them in Premier Pro on top of your vuze footage, and then use Premier Pro's "VR immersive effect - VR Plane to sphere" and tweak the stereo disparity amount.

Not the best example; but it was something I did for a family vacation as a test a month back : The Thomas Family Vacation in April, 2018 - YouTube .  I experimented with 3d VR motion graphic titles in the beginning of each shot as well as 3d VR slideshow of photos taken that sit in the 3d space.

Anyone else have ideas to properly use 360/3D up-down footage in after effects?

James

Behance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys has anyone came across a solution yet.

Thanks,
Rhys

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that this helps you in 3D Dave, but I have been resorting to rendering projects in 2D from Vuze Studio, and editing this footage in equirectangular in Sequence Settings. Which defeats the purpose of the 3D capabilities, but it is the only solution I have found to allow the Vuze camera footage in Premiere to work with Mettle Skybox. Let's get this solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave, sorry for the very later reply. Hunting again for an answer for this issue, I ironically came across MY OWN QUESTION unanswered.

I'm using the Vuze Camera - it films using four pairs of lenses in a saucer configuration, so provides 8 pieces of raw footage stitched into 4 3D files in external software. The onboard audio is stereo only rather than spatial.

Great camera, but that then presents my issue. As it's the only consumer-priced camera that captures 360 footage in 3D, not many people have experience of working with the 3D output using the familiar tools. Even a Adobe Customer Service Agent blanked me when I asked for help this week, as they just didn't know where to find the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layne, I went a step further initially. I output the left eye view only; then separately output the right eye only (you can do this at the render stage in Humaneyes VR Studio).

I then imported each video into After Effects to manage in a single comp and then output using the '3D Glasses' rendering tools, which re-combined the two videos into a single over-under equirectangular video.

Sadly, this really limits what AE editing you can do and synchronising your editing in the two videos manually is a tedious nightmare! (but it's the best I can do without the answer from Adobe). Hope it helps you, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What I did was brought the stitched footage ( over/under ) into Premiere, edited the sections I wanted and then sent that sequence to After Effects where I used the clone tool to remove a few things and then went back into Premiere and did the colour on an adjustment layer. Seems to have done the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines