• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

add gradient to background mask for blur

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a  mask made to apply a blur  to areas around subject-two people in foreground. I would like to add a gradient from top to bottom to somewhat simulate depth of field. Area at bottom of image would have no blur but increase toward top of image.

Can this be done in Elements 15? If so, any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

rbohn61  wrote

I have a  mask made to apply a blur  to areas around subject-two people in foreground. I would like to add a gradient from top to bottom to somewhat simulate depth of field. Area at bottom of image would have no blur but increase toward top of image.

Thanks

Try this:

1. Open picture file
  2. Duplicate background layer
  3. Apply Gaussian blur to background copy layer. This will blur everything
  4. Apply mask to background copy l

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rbohn61  wrote

Thanks

Try this:

1. Open picture file
  2. Duplicate background layer
  3. Apply Gaussian blur to background copy layer. This will blur everything
  4. Apply mask to background copy layer
  5. Set foreground color chip to black & background color chip to white
  6. Activate the brush tool.
  7. Left click on the mask, then paint with a black brush on the area that you wish to remain in focus. If you go too far, correct with a white brush. Depending on the picture, you can fine-tune the masking by painting with a brush set at reduced opacity.

If you are determined to utilize a gradient, you would have to open the gradient editor and set the color stops & opacity stops in order to create a custom black/white gradient. This would then be applied to the mask. This is more complicated and I have found the steps delineated above work well for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perhaps this example is what you are trying to do using a gradient. I started with this picture:

sshot-1.jpg

Duplicated the layer and added a Gaussian blur.

Added a layer mask.

Activated Gradient Tool with the linear Black,White option.

Drew a gradient from bottom of picture to about 1/4 from the top. This created no blur at the bottom gradually blurring to the top.

sshot-2.jpg

Note that portions of the couple also blurred. To correct this I painted black on the mask using a hard black brush. I could also have selected the couple using the various selection tools and filled the selection with black:

sshot-3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines