Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Trim Tool to remove white Borders

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Fore some reason I cant get the trim tool to remove the white borders on a scan job. I dont want to have to continue to use the crop tool manually to the 1000 plus scans. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

20180326162551_00111A.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Mar, I have a suggestion for an Action that may work for you if all the images are positioned similarly.

Open a file

Edit > Canvas size. Relative. Enter a minus figure in both height and width, about the size of the image border. You will be told that you will clipping area. Click: Proceed

It will trim to a borderless image which can be Saved

Note that even though you may have different sized images, since the adjustment in canvas size is relative, it will trim the images to their individual size.

On

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like your Black borders have been trimmed to your images white frame. The image does not have white borders.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason Trim is not working for you is that it is designed to produce a rectangle, not to erase an area. With a scalloped edge you cannot eliminate all the black with Trim. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me it looks like trim work fine. Trimmed all black borders to the bounds of the white frame.  I see a rectangle.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJ I am referring to removing the black "valley" between the white crests. Trim is not the tool for that. To remove the white border entirely requires a crop. (To compound the problem, some of the image area is the same tone as the border.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that.  The Op most likely wants to remove the white frame an the black borders.  That is not something that can be done with trim. 

They may be to record and action to do what they want to do.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mar, I have a suggestion for an Action that may work for you if all the images are positioned similarly.

Open a file

Edit > Canvas size. Relative. Enter a minus figure in both height and width, about the size of the image border. You will be told that you will clipping area. Click: Proceed

It will trim to a borderless image which can be Saved

Note that even though you may have different sized images, since the adjustment in canvas size is relative, it will trim the images to their individual size.

One more thing:  A longer Action could then increase the canvas size to provide a white margin, if desired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Norman,

I didnt think of your suggestion but that would probably work. The images have a sloppy border and the black area that is shown is from the bulk scanner where the print was uneven. I thank you for your suggestion and will use this in the future.

Best Regards,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A wee addition to this thread.  You can see that the scan is not a perfect rectangle, but Perspective Crop would fix that

You could simply add canvas is you were not worried about the stamp edges

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines