• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a good way to make tileable textures in photoshop?

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have heard people say about the offset modifier but that only moves the whole image. I am looking for a way to have a preview on all sides of the image if that makes sense.

P         P          P

P  actual image  P

P         p           p

Like this, with P standing for preview. So you can edit the image and it will update in real time on the previews. Does something like that exist? It would make painting textures a lot easier.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know of a way in photoshop to have a truly "live" preview but this may help you.

One thing you can do is turn your layer that is being tiled into a smart object.

Then, drag that smart object into a new file, and duplicate the smart object layer and arrange the duplicates however you want the image to tile.

Then, if you double click one of those objects in the Layers window, it will open the smart object. Make any changes you want to that object, Save, and go back to the window with your tiled pattern. All the objects will have updated with any changes you made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like the 3D > New Tiled Painting From Layer menu item. I find you need to set your doc size to 9x larger, since only one-ninth of the pixels are really "active".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Right, this seems to have got me somewhere. Buut... I see what you mean about sizing the image by 9x. I have a 1024 x 1024 image so I had to make it 9126 x 9216 which works fine at first but once I make it into a tiled painting and draw something photoshop crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines