• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic CC 7.3 is not correctly converting presets to .xmp

Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upon updating this morning to the new Lightroom Classic CC v 7.3 I found I was missing a large majority of my user presets.  In this new version of LR presets are converted from .lrtemplate to .xmp presumably to help with previous cross application issues and keeping everything in a central location.  After some digging, I realized they also have moved the active preset bank from the Lightroom to the CameraRaw folder (the preferences menu still directs you to the Lightroom folder which is an issue when importing anything new).  It also only converted and moved about 1/2 of my user presets converting every folder A-R but stopping there leaving behind the most necessary previous "User Preset" custom folder.

SO

1) The Lightroom Preferences Presets menu "Show Lightroom Presets Folder" needs to be updated to direct to the CameraRaw settings folder if that's where presets now live.

2) How does one convert .lrtemplate files to .xmp (or how can I reinitiate the automatic conversion that began when initially I updated the application itself).

macOS High Sierra 10.13.3

iMac Pro 3 GHz Intel Xeon W

128 GB ram

Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

I've found a workaround that is a bit ridiculous.  The automated conversion tool is not being hung up by special characters ("/" or otherwise)... at least in my case.  It feels a bit tone deaf that they've published that as a solution when the issue as documented clearly runs deeper than that.

For whatever reason, my presets only converted folders named with starting characters A-R.  As a last ditch effort after 3 days of it not being addressed, I added a "1" to develop preset folders that did no

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem.  Half of my presets did not convert.  The last half of the alphabet is missing, i.e. "Contrasty" presets came through fine.  Sleeklens, PhotoTraces, and User presets .. did not convert.  Why am I the beta tester for this new update? 

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious if anyone can chime in, but based on your response no presets with a name starting with the letter "S" onward have been converted and updated correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After doing a force quit this is exactly what I am seeing.  In fact, all my User presets are gone....

Sigh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine made it halfway through the ones that started with "M".  The second half didn't make it in.  Unfortunately, the missing ones are the ones I use most often and kind of need right now!  (Learned my lesson.  Hold off on updates!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that the first missing preset did indeed have a "/" in the name.  I changed that to "-", restarted LR and the rest of the presets did convert and import.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While the folks at Adobe clean up their mess, the folks over at Seim have identified the issue and have a fix for the out of order issue.  Jump on over to Read more and watch the video here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are all of you using a Mac with High Sierra?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Specs are listed in my post as well as @yellowbirch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JULIANCASSADY and YellowBirch,

Sorry that Lightroom Classic 7.3 didn't converted your presets to XMP and some of the presets are missing.

We are investigating this issue and our Engineering team is tracking the feedback here: Lightroom Classic: Develop Presets did not all convert to new format in 7.3 | Photoshop Family Custo...

Please add your vote to the above discussion and follow it to get updates. You may share your findings about the problem as well, it will definitely help us diagnose the issue.

Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take your time ... I'm only paying $10 a month.  Presets?  Who really needs 'em? 

Come on, guys.  Fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a help doc on the issue https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/not-all-presets-are-converted.html.

Successfully converted .lrtemplate develop preset would be renamed with a prefixed tilde character "~". If the preset conversion stopped prematurely, you can go through your original .lrtemplate develop preset folders and find the first instance of the .lrtemplate file that did not convert (without the prefixed tilde "~"). And see if the file name has any special characters such as the forward slash "/" or ":" in it. Try change the special character to hyphen "-" and relaunch Lr again. Alternatively, you can manually prefix the .lrtemplate file that did not convert with a tilde "~" character, Lr would skip converting this specific develop preset on the next launch and continue the conversion for the rest of the develop presets.

If you continue to have issues, please zip up your .lrtemplate develop presets and send me private message with a downloadable link, I can investigate for you. Please don't send a zip file as an attachment in the email. It would be quarantined by the email server. The issue would be fixed in the next Lr update. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Alternatively, you can manually prefix the .lrtemplate file that did not convert with a tilde "~" character, Lr would skip converting this specific develop preset on the next launch and continue the conversion for the rest of the develop presets."

Could you rephrase this so that is it clear, please.  I understand about 75% of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the original develop preset is named "MyCustomDevelopPreset.lrtemplate", rename it to "~MyCustomDevelopPreset.lrtemplate" would signal it to Lr 7.3 on the next launch that the preset has been converted (when it actually failed to convert) and skip the conversion step for the preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like everyone else, I had this same problem. After reading this and several other posts I came to the understanding (in layman's terms) that in the LR develop presets folder (on MacOS: username/library/application support/adobe/lightroom/develop presets), the presets with a "~" at the beginning of the file name were successfully converted to XMP and therefore showed up in LR. To test that my understanding was correct I found where the "~" had stopped (in my case it was about halfway through the Contrastly subfolder) and I manually edited the next few files adding "~" to the beginning of the filename. I only did this to 2 or 3 preset files. But, when I relaunched LR the XMP conversion was done for ALL of my remaining presets including my User presets. It seems that maybe the XMP got hung up and by manually editing those few filenames the conversion process was able to finish? Not 100% sure why it worked for me but it did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that I can't organize my presets in folder anymore.How can it done ? My presets convert correct but there is no way to put them in folders in LR , any solution ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ralphb63832690  wrote

I noticed that I can't organize my presets in folder anymore.How can it done ? My presets convert correct but there is no way to put them in folders in LR , any solution ?

You can use the work-around to create new 'Group folders' in the Preset Panel by creating a dummy preset (using any kind of adjustment) and specifying a new "Group" in the dialog. (and delete 'dummy' presets later if needed. Note: and empty Group will disappear.)

You can then drag and drop Presets into this new Group folder.

ScreenShot049.jpg

ScreenShot052.jpg

And Dragging other Presets into the new Group:

ScreenShot053.jpg

ScreenShot054.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you , this is working and helped me a lot , because in the menu you can find the New Group , but its not working without to set a dummy preset. now im able to organize. thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOW DO I SEND YOU A PRIVATE MESSAGE WITH AN ATTACHED ZIP FOLDER?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hover your mouse cursor over the (blue) name above a post and the pop-up has a [message] button.

ScreenShot096.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please be sure to return to this post and let us know the fix when it is done.  Hopefully soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2018 Jul 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still unable to see my LR pre-sets in ACR and it is now the end of July. Has there been any updates to the anticipated cure?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found a workaround that is a bit ridiculous.  The automated conversion tool is not being hung up by special characters ("/" or otherwise)... at least in my case.  It feels a bit tone deaf that they've published that as a solution when the issue as documented clearly runs deeper than that.

For whatever reason, my presets only converted folders named with starting characters A-R.  As a last ditch effort after 3 days of it not being addressed, I added a "1" to develop preset folders that did not previously correctly import.  This shoots them to the top of the list alphabetically and... lo and behold... Lightroom now imports them perfectly fine.

There's still no easy way to rename preset folders within Lightroom now that location data is written as text within .xmp files, but at least this will get your presets imported and usable.  Hopefully they deal with the ordering/renaming bug soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found another workaround for Windows. I had over 200 custom presets that didn't get imported during the first run after the upgrade. I went ahead and removed the ones that were already imported and had the ~prefix and started Lightroom again. The second time when I loaded Lightroom, it was able to import those presets without any errors. One thing to note is, half of those presets that failed the first time, didn't have any / or special characters inside and rest had / and - in their internal name, and i didn't have to change anything.

I have a dual boot environment so I booted in to Linux, mounted the filesystem where all the presets were located, made a backup of the directory and ran the following command to find and remove the filenames starting with ~prefix (sorry, I don't know how to do that in Windows command line).

find </path/to/preset_folder> -name '~*' -exec rm -rf {} \;

This worked for me, but before you run the above command, please make a backup of all your presets. Try this on your own risk.

Hope this helps.

Sharif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More than 2 weeks now and this still hasn't been patched.

What's the delay here Adobe? How is it that game developers can fix game breaking bugs for their massive games in a matter of a day or two, whereas LR patches take a month minimum?

It's not like our jobs depend on having functioning software or anything...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines