• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

YouTube won't play dialogue on my cell phone- audio sounds like it's in the back channels.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys- I've been searching for several hours for a solution to my problem, and I've gone down several rabbit holes about latency looking for a solution.

I have a boom mic, a Tascam, a DSLR, and my mid-2011 mac that I edit on. Usually, I like to record my audio separately into the Tascam, but as I was shooting on the beach, I wanted to keep things more compact. I've never recorded audio into the camera body before, so I don't know if that's even related. I could've accidentally changed a setting I don't know about in premiere, but this video shoot is resulting in audio that's not coming through when uploaded to YouTube and played on cell phones.

My process was the same as any other shoot; lay out my video in Premiere, sync my audio, clean it up in Audition, grade and export to Media Encoder, using the H.264 format with the YouTube 1080p HD. I don't believe I changed anything. I'm willing to learn, please guide me.

When I listen to the audio, it definitely is coming through the speakers behind me. I'm wondering if and how I can fix this, and I ask you to show mercy on me. Pity me, please. This is simply my first time hitting a roadblock that the amazing people at Adobe usually makes idiot proof so people on the forums don't have to waste their time on some noob. I kid because I can't proceed any further without adult supervision.

Thanks.

This post moved from Premiere Elements to Premiere Pro CC. [Moderator]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Have a look at answer 3 on this thread:

Re: Exported File Needs Headphones on Mobile Devices

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have posted in the Premiere Elements forum.  I have put in a request to move this to Premiere Pro CC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Tascam, assuming it's a DR-60D or something similar, did you happen to record the audio in "MS Mode?"

I learned the hard way that it's "mid-side" and greatly affects the phase and resulting sound of mics recorded that way. I was streaming a production which sounded GREAT in my headphones, but by the time it hit Facebook for the stream, it was as if those mics were being completely canceled out by the Tascam. They say on their site, "...Popular with sound effects recordists, mid-side recording offers a solid mono image with adjustable stereo width. But MS signals must be decoded before used in a mix..."

And therein lies the problem (at least for me). I didn't do this whole piece right, and what everyone heard on that stream was basically "room sound minus the microphones." It was the most bizarre thing. And I've definitely learned NOT to use that mode for basic speech, mono recordings.

I may be off on a tangent here, but it sure sounds like cell phones are playing audio that's somehow got the left and ride cancelled out, resulting in nothing. Can you elaborate on the situation? We'd like to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bucksommerkamp - It's possible it's a setting in my DSLR (I normally record on my Tascam, but this time I plugged my boom directly into the camera). That sounds exactly like the problem; you can hear the clip here; Mobility Max Body Suit Shoot Final - YouTube

You can hear the music just fine and the dialogue a little low and in the back speakers when stereo, but the mono channel of a cell phone yields a nearly silent video with stuttering background music. ​How do I go about decoding the ms signals?​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you post a small sample of your audio ?

I once had an audio file with noisy background, and the Youtube recompression just killed it and you could only hear the noisy background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help; here's the video uploaded to youtube. Is this an option I can ignore? Should I convert to a standard Mov file and try to upload it that way, instead of using the YouTube setting?

Mobility Max Body Suit Shoot Final - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can hear very well the dialogue on my PC and on my smartphone.

The dialogue is a bit compressed when we hear the helicopter, but other than that it's perfectly fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? My wife's phone doesn't pick it up either, and my brother was unable to hear it on his. I thought it was strange, as my client didn't mention he couldn't hear his pitch... lol. Strange...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now attempted exporting on 'Match Source' and 'Highest Bitrate,' and I'm still receiving no audio that was recorded that day into the input port on my T5i.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that your audio is out of phase. Here is a video describing the issue and why it happens: Audio Phase: Why You Need To Pay Attention To This - YouTube

When out of phase stereo audio is played back on a mono device, such as some smartphones, the audio disappears partially or completely and that´s what you are experience here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at answer 3 on this thread:

Re: Exported File Needs Headphones on Mobile Devices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you sir!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I appreciate it- I watched this video before coming here and I think I understand it more now. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines