• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2 devices, 2 different ADOBE CC licences + 1 NAS Drive - working with XMP or not?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I  know there are many questions about NAS cloud and XMP files and et cetera here, but I found this difficult for me to search an answer for my question.

I have two different devices (2x MBPro) and two different Adobe CC licences and there are two of us working on the same project at the same time. What irritating us is that we have to work in the same place to see eachother work progress on Lightroom. If someone goes to other place we need to Export the photos to JPG to see the photo processing.

So what I would like to do is, buy a big NAS Storage Drive. Plug it into router and after a photoshoot put all files into the specific folder on NAS. Then each person who will connect to this NAS Storage Drive will be able to work with files from NAS and XMP files which are in the same folder on NAS. So then other person will able to see the work progress from every place.

My question is: is the above solution correct? Or maybe it will not work with NAS? If not maybe someone had the same problem and was able to found the solution: how to work on the same project with team and Lightroom?

Thank you all in advance.

All Best,

Robert

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose it could work, if everyone is diligent and makes no mistakes. I assume that you are the other person you mention are perfect and NEVER make mistakes.

If person A does some edits to a photo using Lightroom that is on the NAS, and person B doesn't notice that edits have been performed and does other edits to the photo in Lightroom, the edits of person B will overwrite the edits from person A.

Lightroom was not meant to be a multi-user application. All such workarounds have drawbacks.

Maybe Bridge is a better solution, since the above scenario with edits being overwritten will not happen (although I suppose using Bridge instead of Lightroom has its own drawbacks)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige  napisał(-a)

I suppose it could work, if everyone is diligent and makes no mistakes. I assume that you are the other person you mention are perfect and NEVER make mistakes.

If person A does some edits to a photo using Lightroom that is on the NAS, and person B doesn't notice that edits have been performed and does other edits to the photo in Lightroom, the edits of person B will overwrite the edits from person A.

Lightroom was not meant to be a multi-user application. All such workarounds have drawbacks.

Maybe Bridge is a better solution, since the above scenario with edits being overwritten will not happen (although I suppose using Bridge instead of Lightroom has its own drawbacks)

Thanks for answer.

I got your point. It is quite understandable for me. Suppose that I am the person A and my co-worker is B. "B" makes some changes in files which are on  NAS Storage. Then "A" (me) would like to see changes (beeing in other place in the world) and after connecting to the NAS there are no changes becouse the XMP or LR folder is located on "B" device which is miles away. Even if "B" make a XMP copy on NAS manually, then after my changes I suppose that "B" will not be able to see those changes becouse with the same file "B" have different XMP on device and different on NAS. "B" will be forced to overwritte own XMP with those from NAS.

I'm just looking for some answer about workflow on Lightroom when you working as duo team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think you need to look for multi-user software. I don't really think any of the work-arounds in Lightroom are good, they all have drawbacks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines