• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Picture (which is big in aspect ratio) is really bad quality when opened in photoshop(smaller aspect ratio)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have this image which is 5312 pixels in width and 2988 pixels in height. I need to create a banner ad in this ratio: 300x250.

So this is what I do:

1) Create a new Photoshop document in this ratio 300x250.

2) Drag the 5312x2988 picture into the Photoshop document. The picture when comes perfectly fitted into the white box, but I can see the quality is wayyyyy lower. I still need it a little bit smaller though.

3) Hold shift and then make it a little bit smaller and then the quality gets even worse.

Can anyone help me out how I should open this picture in this banned ad ratio in perfect quality Should be possible in 2018 right?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot taken at View > 100% and with the pertinent Panels (Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Schermafdruk 2018-04-04 14.00.49.png

Does this help? It looks better at 100%, but when I go at websites where they also use this ad ratio it's not like 100% view. So I zoom in till it looks like the ads on the website and it looks not as HD as the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I go at websites where they also use this ad ratio it's not like 100% view.

Is the ad supposed to be 300px by 250px or not?

If a browser displays the image bigger (maybe in order to compensate the display size for a high resolution display) then that is not Photoshop’s doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the ad should be 300x250. I think it's not the problem you are saying. What I tried to say was that at 100% view it looks clean, but it's not good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the document, not drag. Save as PSD with new name. Then use Image > Image size to Resize. There are quality options. Results may not be better but try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's not the problem you are saying.

If the image has the intended pixel dimensions and looks OK in Photoshop at View > 100% then the problem is not within Photoshop.

Please post a screenshot of the image as displayed in the browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmmm..interesting. So the view at 100% is how it will also look when I post the ad on my desktop browser? I will try it later and then upload the result. I thought I had to zoom in till the ad box with the picture gets evenly big as the ad box on the browsers. Which is around 150%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I had to zoom in till the ad box with the picture gets evenly big as the ad box on the browsers. Which is around 150%.

Again: If the browser upsamples images then Photoshop has no influence on that.

Maybe you have to address the issue with responsive image content and multiple versions of the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i HAVEN'T UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING YOU SAID , BUT i DO UNDERSTAND THAT WHAT i SEE AT 100% IS WHAT I WILL GET SO THANKS MAN. HAVE DONE 2 OTHER ADS WITH OTHER RATIOS AND WILL MAKE THE 300X250 ALSO ONE TIME AND IF I HAVE TROUBLE I WILL MAKE A POST ABOUT IT. I THINK YOU ANSWERED MY QUESTIONS THO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont't get it. So I should open the picture of the mug in a photoshop document and then save that as a psd file. Then I should open that psd file as a document...but then I have the picture in a psd file lol. I need it in the 300x250 ad document

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save as a PSD file to protect your original file. Always save PSD for later editing. Never edit JPEG twice!! Of course export JPEG to deliver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines