• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cloud Based Bridge

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Photoshop CC (cloud based) version will only accept images that are on the cloud. At least that's how I understand it. My question is, will Bridge still be able to browse my drive? Will I be able to select the images in ACR, then send the ones I want to work on in PS CC to the cloud, saving or exporting them and then send other pics. Or will I have to send all my pics to the cloud.  I have over 4T of pics. No way am I buying storage for 4T.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge CC And Photoshop CC are normal - "classic" applications with additional cloud connection.

You can work on your machine without Internet Connection (about one month to check your subscription) you can use files from your disks, Of course Photoshop CC And Bridge CC allow you to work with classic graphic files (jpg, tif, psd, png, gif) and Raw for Camera Raw. Don't warry Crative Cloud are normal applications only with additional cloud based features

pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Regards

George Liberman

george1397@gmail.com

www.georgelibermanphotos.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or will I have to send all my pics to the cloud.  I have over 4T of pics. No way am I buying storage for 4T.

Also, your CC subscription installs a folder in your user account that sync's to the Adobe cloud server. It works pretty much the same way as DropBox. In order to take advantage of the Adobe cloud storage and sync'ing you have to save files into that folder. It's up to you whether you use it or not.

So you could store your RAW photo library anywhere on your local network and then save images that you have color corrected and spent time on inside your Creative Cloud Files folder. You would then have an off site backup of your most valuable files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if I understand you correctly, Bridge will search and view my local

drive and then open my files in ACR, all locally. Then I can open some

images in Photoshop CC and it will store them locally, and once a month it

will connect to the cloud and then save them to the cloud. I hope I got

this right?

Regards

George Liberman

george1397@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if I understand you correctly, Bridge will search and view my local

drive and then open my files in ACR, all locally. Then I can open some

images in Photoshop CC and it will store them locally, and once a month it

will connect to the cloud and then save them to the cloud.

Yes, except if you have an always on internet connection the sync'ing happens as you save and not just once a month.

All of the apps and updates install locally same as they did with the CS suite, except via a download rather than a DVD. Your files are always saved locally.

The Dropbox like cloud storage and syncing is and added feature. There are also collaboration features and there is a history feature, so if you wanted to step back to a file's earlier version you can do that from your web account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the time to explain all this. It really helps.

Regards

George Liberman

george1397@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

once a month it will connect to the cloud and then save them to the cloud. I hope I got this right?

No, actually you didn't. Once a month the application calls home to check that your subscription is in order and paid. That's all the online activity that happens. No syncing files to "the cloud" happens unless you specifically do so yourself.

I've said it before: the "Creative Cloud" name is about the worst possible they could have picked. It does nothing but cause misunderstandings. I suspect "the cloud" was just the buzzword of the day and so they went with it.

Anyone who does serious image editing knows that internet bandwidth will never catch up with file sizes, it never has and likely never will. For that to happen, there would have to be an earth-shattering technological revolution. That may happen one day, but it's not on the horizon now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone who does serious image editing knows that internet bandwidth will never catch up with file sizes, it never has and likely never will. For that to happen, there would have to be an earth-shattering technological revolution. That may happen one day, but it's not on the horizon now.

But just to clarify you never save directly to the cloud, it's always a sync after the local save so the internet connection speed really isn't an issue. The save time to the Creative Cloud Files folder is no different than a save to any other folder on the startup disk.

Functionally it's the same as Drobox—its uses would be an effortless, incremental, off site backup of valuable files; or remote group collaborations where a shared creative cloud folder gets sync'd to multiple users. The idea is file security and remote sharing and not the end of local storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, but a 4TB archive as the OP has - or 12TB as I have? That's bandwidth too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or 12TB as I have? That's bandwidth too

Dropbox has a $20 per month unlimited, so it's just a matter of a nominal fee. I don't think Adobe is trying to compete with Google or Dropbox, it's just an added feature to the subscription

You have to decide how valuable the 12TBs is. Does it all need to be backed up offsite, or are you satisfied with a local backup system, but which would still be vulnerable to fire or flood? I would bet most photographers don't bother trying to delete files from their photo shoots, disk space is too cheap. I separate out the files I seriously edit, which ends up being less than 1% of the raw library. Those files go the the cloud folder or Dropbox

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't private, this is work. I need instant access to all of it, at any time. The company server is far too little and far too slow, so I devised my own system with two mirrored sets of drives, one set in the work machine and one in my home system. Daily incremental backup uses synchronization software and portable drives for transport.

It was a hassle to set up, I admit, but very efficient in use and has served me well without problems for many years. Three copies of every file, at least one always off-site.

All those 10TB drives, enterprise grade, aren't cheap though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The company server is far too little and far too slow, so I devised my own system with two mirrored sets of drives, one set in the work machine and one in my home system. Daily incremental backup uses synchronization software and portable drives for transport.

I think those kinds of complex backup systems are what Dropbox and Google Drive will put an end to.

Assuming you have equal storage capacity on both the home and work machine, you could use an unlimited Dropbox account that gets sync'd to both machines and have instant access in both places without transporting anything. In that scenario you would have 3 up-to-date copies of everything—sync'd copies on both machines and a copy on the Dropbox server, which is incremental for 3 months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, never split a winning team. But I'll think some more...

BTW - the last time I replaced the disks because space was getting tight, it took about ten hours to copy the whole archive from disk to disk. Wonder how long it would take to send 12 TB off to the clouds? A week? two weeks?

Anyway, this is getting a bit off track. My point wasn't sync/backup after the fact, after local saving. My point was the absolute futility of working off the cloud, as primary storage. That's what a lot of people think "Creative Cloud" means - like the OP here.

(edited)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My point was the absolute futility of working off the cloud

Right, Adobe doesn't even offer that service and never will. But conceptually it is useful to understand how the new cloud backup/collaboration feature actually works.

I think initially the idea behind Dropbox was a simpler FTP transfer, and I still use it to deliver jobs where all I want to do is give the client a URL, but that's not why the IPO just raised $8 billion. It's the effortless backup and collaboration features that make them a valuable company. There are more DB discussions over in the InDesign forum where remote collaborations are becoming essential workflows. But no one should be manually uploading and downloading anymore, the collaboration part depends on shared and sync'd local folders.

I still use Retrospect to backup my LAN, but it is not easy software and requires a lot of attention—my millennial son who has never seen a drive fail rolls his eyes.

BTW - the last time I replaced the disks because space was getting tight, it took about ten hours to copy the whole archive from disk to disk. Wonder how long it would take to send 12 TB off to the clouds? A week? two weeks?

12TB is a lot and you would never want to make a change without a fair amount of testing. But, DB works the same as incremental backup software, the initial sync would take time and bandwidth, but after that only new additions and saves get sync'd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines