• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 7.3 update hanging on XMP conversion

Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to the 7.3 that came out today.  When I opened it up it started "Updating Develop Presets to XMP".  Got about half way through then hung up.  I dont want to corrupt anything in my library so I have not force quit the application, but I need a way out of this situation.  Any help appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, this is running on an iMac with 10.13.4 running as the OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue listed below.  It only converted half of my presets and moved them to the camera raw folder.

Lightroom Classic CC 7.3 is not correctly converting presets to .xmp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw your issue once I put mine in.  Did you end up killing the process and that caused the second issue of only a partial conversion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope.  I'm running an iMac Pro with 128 GB RAM so I'm assuming I just didn't experience the hangup/delay everyone else has mentioned.  For me, the conversion took a few seconds, but obviously didn't complete correctly. 

If I had to guess, something is wrong with the conversion script and it gets hung up about 50% of the way through.  For some people this probably is displayed as an unusually long process and for others it likely just completes partially.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a mess this is turning out to be.  Beta test done?  I think not!  I am going to have to force quit then cleanup.  Adobe screwed the pooch on this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrote

What a mess this is turning out to be.  Beta test done?  I think not!  I am going to have to force quit then cleanup.  Adobe screwed the pooch on this one.

So far LR 7.3 is working fine here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the sentiment, but writing in a support thread that "it's working fine here" is not helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue - any idea what will happen if we force quit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m having this problem, I’m wondering should I force qui. Has anyone force quit and what happened?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem.  On a mac 10.13.3.  The blue bar looks complete on the Updating Develop presets popup, but nothing is happening except it beeps at me when I click anything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, LR is working (visible in the date and size of the ".lrcat-wal" file), but no progress indication from LR itself. Today's software builders, including Apple,  don't seem to care to inform how long things take. Plus, it would be user friendly when Adobe would not automatically start this process, but announce it and let the user decide if and when. I'm waiting for an hour now and it hasn't finished. Can't get my work done in time because of this ;( and I hope Adobe hasn't changed anything in my presets that causes rework to get the original result...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The decision as to whether and/or when to use Force Quit is yours. However, if it's any help, the preset conversion should take no more than a few minutes, not hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR is still working after 2 hours and the .lrcat-wal file is still being updated. Force quit might not be wise while it's still updating a file. I can find the new preset XMP files in a folder.

The LR-message also says that after the presets-conversion, files will get a "~" after their names. I guess that this process is why it takes so long (I have thousands of files)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, in my case, the conversion don't finish. 4 hours has been passed, than i forced quit lightroom.

The camera calibration presets disappear. Where they are now???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They've been put in the Basic panel.

Click on the 4 squares above the white balance tool and you'll be able to add the old ones back by clicking on the stars in the top right hand corner.

Bit tricky to find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here. I had to force quit after about 30 minutes and i think the conversion worked, but it didn't rename any of the presets like it said it would... maybe that's the cause of the hang-up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. I contacted Adobe Support and they say they're aware of the issue and working on it. I went ahead and did a Force Quit on LR and it seems to be ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

20 minutes later the "converting to presets" is still showing the box on my screen and I can't use LR unless I do a force quit.   I don't even use presets!!!

I am on a MacBook Pro with everything updated to latest including OS.   16gig memory, 1tb storage with 80gig free.  I7. 

LR Bug freezes updateing presets .png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Ian Lyons said above, the conversion should take no more than a few minutes, so ours is hung. I finally forced quit, restarted, and am now using the new version. Haven't checked about my presets, but rarely use them anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. LR hangs already for about half an hour on the conversion......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue... updated the program then started up and it promptly starting "updating to XMP." After about 15 minutes with no change on the gray bar, I came looking for help and found this post. Finally decided it wouldn't hurt to force-quit. The next time, the program started right up, but no presets were listed. Damn. Went looking for them in the four-squares menu above the white balance, as someone suggested, but couldn't find anything there either. But suddenly I noticed that my presets had appeared, spontaneously, about 10 minutes after starting up. So far as I can tell, they're all there, and they all seem to work.

Weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 12.20.30.png

Left mine for 27 hours and still stuck. I guess I'll have to force quit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. It hung for an hour or more before I chose to force-quit. Thank you to those who advised that if the process was working it wouldn't take long. Much appreciated. New presets in place now, in spite of the hang and subsequent force-quit. And thank you so much @scottc43610882for letting us know where to look for the new feature.

I echo the sentiment that it's uncool we received no dialog box/warning/choice about the update. And for those of us who had to force-quit, no dialog box afterwards with a heads-up about the new feature, either.

It makes a lot of sense to me that this feature was moved all the way from the bottom of the stack to the top. I always start with this, and tell my students to do the same. It'll be much more intuitive now.

What's also not intuitive is:

• Were my own "user presets" supposed to have been imported, so they'd show up at top right, with Adobe's?
  • If so, how do I convert/import them (or future presets)?

Anyone have answers?

- Gino

www.jeanmiele.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I force quit and held my breath. Fortunately, all user presets were intact and new features operational. Presets remained in their currently orientation on the left side of the Develop module. Perhaps I got lucky, as I encountered the same situation as everyone else posting with hanging XMP conversion. When I updated on my MacBook Pro, which holds a much smaller catalogue, it completed the conversion in less than a minute, so I knew the hiccup was either/both system/size driven, for whatever that's worth. Running Sierra 10.13.4 on both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines