• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anybody having trouble with PNG's with the new Update of Premier Pro 2018 April 3rd?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cant get Premier to read PNG's, I make them in Photoshop and export them as PNG's but when they come in Premier is all the weird crap.

I already clear the cache, re installed, re exported, started  new project, I cant get it t work! WHAT THE CRAP IS HAPPENING!!!

This are two pictures of PNG's it is one title, but Premier is merging all the PNGS in to one picture, same with the one below, it suppose to say TIPS on crussing, not all that weird color and reverse shadow going on.... this is totally wrong!! Screenshot 2018-04-04 10.33.42.pngScreenshot 2018-04-04 10.33.54.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Hi,

The patch has been released and live now. This patch includes bug fix related to PNG's.

Bug fixes in Premiere Pro versions 12.1 and 12.1.1

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 143 Replies 143
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here and on After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is it a Photoshop Problem or a Premier/After Effects Problem, not sure do to the fact all of the products Updated last night... this is complete BS!!! They need to fix this ASAP I have a big deadline and I cant export this garbage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is doing it as well.  In Photoshop it is completely transparent...import it in and blammo i have some random video still in purple layered into the PNG.

Really messed me up cause I was working on something that needed to be done almost immediately after the update.  Only way I got it to work was to import the PSD and it worked fine.  But they need to fix the PNG import immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this is just one of the problems I'm having today. Updating this application was not a very good idea. I have already spent too much time today figuring out how to get it to launch, and then this?

(edit)

This fixed the problem (for me so far):

I toggled the v tracks on and off, moved the pngs in the timeline a few frames; I deleted the media caches, saved, quit, rebooted and relaunched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi this is kinda OT, but a few weeks back (can't remember exactly) I had a big problem with Photoshop not opening or corrupting .png formats when opening. I had to use a different app (Preview) to view any .png files I made in Photoshop. It was after one of the updates and is now not a Photoshop problem anymore, but it makes me wonder if that .png problem a few weeks back is somehow connected with what's going on in Premier now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My 15 sec. project with two png files cannot be exported because updated Premiere crashes on export media. Yesterday similar project didn't cause problems. Solution to reinstall old version seems to be very time consuming, I am upset...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, after spending 1:45 minutes with Tech support, we find out is an error in the code, and the need to throw it back to the engineering department to fix this bug. They told me to wait at least 5 days. DO NOT UPDATE! spread the word, many people are having the same problem with AE. Like always they rushed the program for NAB to showcase the new features when clearly IT WAS NOT READY! now we are stuck here wasting our time.

WORK AROUND:

I save whatever edit I have and exported a XML file (Final Cut Export) then I DOWNGRADED to the previous version of Premier, Open a new project and imported the XML !! everything works on my timeline and I can import PNG's like always. No stupid work around.

TO THE ADOBE INTERN READING THIS!!

PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!

Moderator Warning: Do not use profanity, even if implied, it's against our community guidelines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And try the new Adobe bug reporting/feature request system. You can upvote issues to show support.

Just learning the system, but it appears to me there's only one report and one vote for what appears to be this png issue.

April Update: Problem importing PNGs, PNGS often have artifact parts from other PSD docs, whats up? ...

Remember, this new system is the direct line to the engineers.

Thanks for reporting this has been identified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. This is terrible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Having the exact same issue for this show I'm cutting. The update is terrible! I tried everything you've tried and no resolution with the new update. I reverted back to the previous Premiere Pro version, and all is good again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't reproduce this in version 12.1 on Windows 10 Pro (1709).  My PNGs, all saved out of Photoshop, both with and without alpha, work correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a png sequence with alpha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a png sequence with alpha.

Still working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be a Mac thing only?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same problem on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of the April 2018 update, on a Macbook Pro running OSX 10.13.3, Premiere selects random PNG images from an imported folder to display, rather than the specified image placed in the timeline. Others display with artifacting. PNG files in exported video @24FPS, mp4, 1080p flicker-- similar to what might happen if there were a framerate issue (which can't be the case as the project is just a bunch of PNG files scrolling across the screen).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes me too.  Just posted my own gripe when I came across this thread.  Adobe, you'd better get this fixed in hours, not days.  Major screw up.  Timeline a disaster.  Image freezes, unwanted graphics on certain parts of the timeline.  Flashing everywhere. FIX IT NOW!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happened me today as well. And I've got a deadline. Jippiiiie!

This is really bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same - On the line with them for 3 hours today. Total waste of time. They kept the claim open and just told me the senior developers were working on it. Downgraded to version 12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found a reproducible case and filed an internal Adobe bug. Someone will follow up on this thread. Thank you so much for reporting the issue.
Dan Ramirez
Character Animator QA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tested a fix for this bug in an internal build here at Adobe, but I have no visibility into when it will specifically be released.

Thanks so much for the feedback and you have my sincerest apologies that this bug shipped in a public release.

Dan Ramirez

Character Animator

QA Engineer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan,

When you ship this release I need to be completely assured it will fully function on my hardware:

Mac Mini Late 2012 - 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 running MAC OSX High Sierra 10.13.4

I also need to know if it will automatically skip the corrupt editions After Effects, Media Encoder and Premier Pro: or will it be a two stage update?

Like most people affected by this bug, my loyalty to Adobe software has become questionable and there has been a substantial financial cost to our business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, definitely a thing.  Brought the whole shop to a halt this morning.    We upgraded to 12.1 at close of business last night and fortunately caught it before we did a ton of work today.   Sequences with PNGs with transparency are "ghosting" and displaying over other PNGs in the timeline.   Same as described by many other posters.   However the suggestions of re-loading/shifting the in/out points did not fix the problem reliably and it would still appear at random.   If you're on deadlines like we are, Downgrading back to 12.0 is unfortunately the only way to solve this mess immediately if you can't wait for Adobe to fix.  Or I suppose another would be to go make ProRes 4444 quicktimes with alphas of all your still graphics and cut them back in.   (but then, what other bugs have we not discovered yet)

Fortunately it's not too hard to downgrade with the app manager. But if you've already converted a project and done some work in 12.1, remember you can't re-open the project in 12.0 once you downgrade.   Here is what we did to work-around on OS X:

1) BEFORE YOU DOWNGRADE... Open the new 12.1 version of your project or projects, export any sequences you have changed or created since you upgraded, --regardless of if they are currently experiencing the PNG bug--   Use "Final Cut Pro XML"

2) Then downgrade by going to the creative cloud app manager, select "installed apps" tab and where it says OPEN next to Premiere Pro, click the little arrow and choose "Other Versions" and then choose 12.0.   You need to be closed out of all your CC apps of course.

3)  For good measure we downgraded Adobe Media Encoder at the same time to 12.0 using same method.  No idea if there were bugs, but seemed like the smart play to keep these two apps matched since we rely on it a lot.

4)  Once 12.0 is reinstalled, make a brand new and fresh "rescue" project and import the XML sequences you previously exported.   If you want to rejoin them into a preexisting 12.0 project (or autosave backup)  Leave that rescue project open and open up the old projects at the same time and copy and paste those sequences where you want them.   (Note, the reason for this extra step is for some reason could not import the XML sequences directly)

5)  You'll get a new copy of the sequence and all it's related clips in your bin and will need to do some project housekeeping.  Generally the things you'll lose will depend on the complexity of your sequences, we lost some keying effects and audio stuff.  But at least we're back in action with only a few hours lost.

Hope this helps someone.  And remember, at least it's not Avid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this fix on an other thread:

Find the original png file in the project viewer, right click -> Modify -> Interpret Footage.

Under the Alpha Channel category, select "Conform Alpha Premultiplication To:

And also select the box: Premultiplied Alpha

Shout out to user andrewh20613583 for the fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines