• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer Masks are Transparent

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just recently when I make a selection and add a layer mask my selected image turns transparent. For the image attached I used Color Range to make selection and when I add the layer mask it comes out looking like this. The same thing happens if I try to make a selection using Channels. I did change my mask layer display options to black and 100% opacity in Channels. I can't find anything on the wonderfully vast internet to fix this issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Layer Mask.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

It looks like Select color range has partially selected the color of the wanted area. Do you get the same issue with a simple lasso selection with no feather?

For a simple smooth edged shape like that I would use the pen tool to create a path then use the path to make the mask

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please include the open layers panel in you screenshot?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layer panel.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layer masks are black and white and shades of gray. Black hides the pixels on that layer, white shows them, and all the grays in between offer partial transparency. There are grays in that mask, which is why we can see through the couch.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help, Barb. I guess it's back to the trusty ol' pen tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could try a Levels adjustment on the layer mask to get rid of the transparency.

Just move the Highlights slider to the left.

Image>Adjustments>Levels

Mask with some transparency

t1.png

After moving the Highlights slider to the left

t2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like Select color range has partially selected the color of the wanted area. Do you get the same issue with a simple lasso selection with no feather?

For a simple smooth edged shape like that I would use the pen tool to create a path then use the path to make the mask

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, well that makes sense. No, when I use the pen tool, lasso tool, or magic wand and then apply a layer mask the image stays at 100% opacity. I just noticed this happening the last couple of projects and didn't know if I accidentally hit something I wasn't supposed to. Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines