• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import new footage into Premiere, then original footage loses sound - help?

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I did a rough cut, then did some reshoots.  Imported the footage into Premiere and some of the clips already in my timeline lost their original sound taking sound of the clips I just imported but did not put into the timeline.

First thing I did when importing the new footage was rename each clip or deleting ones I wouldn't use.  They never touched the timeline, yet one or more of my timeline clips somehow has the sound of the new clips.

Luckily I saved as a new file when I first opened but this is making me crazy.  It happened before and I couldn't fix.  How do I prevent this?

Thank you!

N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Quick question ... when you uploaded those files from card to computer, did you copy the entire folder structure from the card? That's an issue with AVCHD files because of the way they're parsed on disc, with a lot of data about the files in other folders separate from the ones that seem to have the actual video files.

I think everyone first working with AVCHD does like I did ... assume they're the same as say mp4/mov files, copy the video files to the computer ... and um ... something's not quit

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem was introduced by the renaming. PrPro creates an internal database of the clips it "knows" and when you changed clips and renamed some of them, it got all screwed up. Do NOT rename clips in the middle of a project, you'll get this. Especially if you rename them to the same as a clip you're removing from the project.

At this point, find where your media cache/cache database files are stored in the Edit/Preferences dialog boxes, close PrPro, go to those folders and delete everything in them. Reboot the computer. Start up PrPro and see if you can now get things sorted out.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't rename anything that was in the timeline, I renamed the new imported clips that never went near the timeline yet.  I didn't rename anything that was in the sequence.

Only the new clips.  So renaming new clips messes it up?  I'm still a beginner.

N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renaming clips imported into a project can be problematic. Renaming should occur before they're imported, and remember, changing the name in the project does not change the name on disc.

If the names of the removed media and the renamed new media were similar to identical, there could easily be problems with the cache files and the media cache database. Learning how to work so that these things don't happen is part of the overall learning experience with PrPro. I had a couple things like this early on also.

So ... if I'm going to rename media, I either do it via the Explorer file manager app in Windows, or the renaming capabilities of Prelude or Bridge ... or Media Encoder, if I'm doing transcoding.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I'm too dumb for this.  I'm on a MAC, I brought in an AVCHD of extra footage that I want to ADD to my already done sequence as B-Roll.

Nothing in my sequence that was already there is being deleted or renamed.  None of that.  Zero.  I only want to add a little b-roll.

I opened my original PR project file, saved it as a new name (version 2) imported the new media. Renamed those NEW files and the old original media clips that were NOT deleted or renamed or moved, took on the sound on of the new imported clips that were still NOT brought into the sequence yet.

So I closed it and went back to my original PR file, it was still fine, I wanted to add that b-roll though so I saved it as Version 3, imported the new media.  Did not rename anything anywhere, and the one clip had it's normal sound still, but another clip in the sequence that was NOT changed in any way shape or name, still took on the sound of one of the newly imported clips that were not brought into the sequence.

Are there videos that spell this out for someone?  Is there a name for what this is so I can look it up, because I am not able to make sense of your way.  I'm a beginner, I don't know how to open the avchd files in anything but Pr or VLC, do I have to rename them in VLC then bring them in? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick question ... when you uploaded those files from card to computer, did you copy the entire folder structure from the card? That's an issue with AVCHD files because of the way they're parsed on disc, with a lot of data about the files in other folders separate from the ones that seem to have the actual video files.

I think everyone first working with AVCHD does like I did ... assume they're the same as say mp4/mov files, copy the video files to the computer ... and um ... something's not quite right. It's why some editors I've seen discuss this say they routinely transcode AVCHD on ingest to something like Cineform or DNxHD/R just to get a "simpler" workflow.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found a video how to delete the cache like you said and talked to someone at my school and brought the avchd into media encoder to make the files h264 before I bring them in this time, I will also name them before, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines