• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening a large PDF in photoshop gets auto-downsized

Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent a large PDF (390cm X 85cm) to be printed on a canvas. The PDF was to scale but the printer apparently opened it in photoshop and it auto-downsized it, it was then printed at the wrong size. I'm just wondering why this happened and how to avoid this in the future...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need to Ask the printer what they did and why the did what they did.  Did the Printer ask you to provide a PDF?  I would think most Printers would want a sRGB jpeg file from you.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our process is to create the file in indesign, exported as a print PDF.
When I (like the printer) opened the PDF with Photoshop and I see that it auto changes the dimensions to a width of 270cm instead of the 390cm it should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if you were like me and trying to google this problem and couldnt find the answer, i figured out whats causing it. I was having the same issue except my file was created in illustrator. Photoshop can only handle a 30,000px x 30,000px image, This file is larger than that at 300dpi so it resizes it automatically. I personally will just submit a .ai file in the future but if you have to edit something in photoshop i found a stupid way of doing it. 

Create a new file in photoshop any size > save it as a .psb (thats .psb NOT .psd) > change your image size and dpi/ppi to the resoultion needed > Place the image you are trying to edit. Not a perfect solution but it works in a pinch. good luck friends. =

Please note this only happens if the other person is using photoshop. My pdf opened correctly with InDesign and Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is incorrect, Photoshop supports a maximum image size of 300,000 x 300,000 pixels. The resolution ppi is merely a number stored alongside the image, for use when calculating the physical size, so does not affect the maximum pixel size.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

This makes sense because i was able to get it to work in PS but only using the psb work around. Keep in mind this is a print issue,  so the problem is with its physical size and the file only gets resized automatically when its 31,800px @300 Dpi . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Chris.   This solved my issue.  Much appreciated.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you confirm the PDF page size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also opened it in illustrator just the see if document size was correct, and yes it was the right size in illustrator.
The issue is why did photoshop downsize the print PDF? Is there a file dimension limit when opening a PDF document in PS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, how did you check it in Acrobat? Did you check it in Acrobat? Until you've verified the size we don't know that Photoshop downsized it for sure. Could have resized on export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the correct size in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, then that is unexpected. Maybe you can share the file (or a sample made the same way) for others to verify...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will break down the process and included a link to the PDF.

Created in indesign > exported as a press quality PDF 300dpi with bleeds and crops

Right clicked on PDF > open with Photoshop CC 2018 > Import options displays width as 270.93cm (which is wrong)

I also tried in the import options to change it from 270.93 to the correct size and I got this pop up error
"A number between 0.01 and 270.93 is required. Closest value inserted "

Link to PDF:

Dropbox - 390cmx85_ResPigsBanner.pdf

I took screen shots also attached below

Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 11.49.29 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-05 at 11.48.11 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-05 at 11.47.28 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although an old post...

Thou shalt not rasterise PDF files in Adobe Photoshop

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2014/09/the-ten-commandments-of-pdf.html

PDF files rasterized in Photoshop will distort if the horizontal or vertical edge is greater than 32,000 pixels. Depending on the size and resolution, you may exceed this value without realising it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines