Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC 2018 Cant export SVG

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do Adobe release unready software?

After updating my CC Aps I have lost hours of productivity due to CC 2018 not exporting SVG, it goes through the process but doesn't write the file. Looking at forums I have tried resetting my preferences. I was then able to export 1 svg - now it doesn't work again.

Were paying for premium with CC but why do adobe push out software before its fully tested -  I wouldn't mind actually waiting till 2018 for the 2018 version of the CC apps!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

UPDATE on 12-MAR-2018: We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.

Please refer to the workaround here. Unable to export Artboards as SVG – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. It didn't work initially, I tried restarting and it worked. But now it stopped working again. I didn't change any settings in between, it appears to just stop or start working randomly. Restarting Windows didn't work this time around.

Although now, with CC 2018, Illustrator no longer crashes when I tried to open multiple files from the file explorer, and I no longer have to use drag and drop to open files while preventing crashes...

And yes, for the price I'm paying, it's really annoying to have to deal with this stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found a fix:

1. Save your file and close AI
  2. Open AI itself, directly, without opening it through a file.
  3. THEN open the file.
  4. Export to SVG should work.

I've only tested this once but it fixed it. No idea why it's doing that, hopefully will be fixed in an upcoming patch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just noticed this problem this morning. Illustrator’s longstanding love-hate relationship with SVG seems to continue.

jamesc11920234’s restart fix did not work for me.

However, I was able to export files using “Save As...” with SVG as the selected format, plus "Use Artboards" selected. (Both "All" and "Range" seem to work.)

BTW, in the “Export As...” dialog, even the "Show Code" and web browser launch button also are not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2018 Mar 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! Your solution of Save as>SVG>Artboard>worked. The other suggested one of closing and opening AI did NOT work. Comon' adobe... this is a MAJOR glitch. Using your XD.. You NEED this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does not work with any suggested workaround procedure in Illustrator.

Only true workaround is to use Photoshop:

1. Copy asset from Illustrator

2. Paste as shape layer into Photoshop

3. Export SVG from Photoshop

Fix it please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. That actually worked for me too. Adobe, get your sh!t together..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the workaraounds work for a while but then the problem returns later. Very shoddy, but unfortnately exactly what I have come to expect from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the fix from jamesc11920234 but this had got to be properly resolved! I am in the middle of the biggest project of my career and have a ton of SVG graphics due on monday. The frustrating part is that I've been exporting to SVG repeatedly all week and it just stopped working in the middle of a design session for no apparent reason.  Resetting preferences and rebooting did not work but it wasted a lot of time. Shutting down Illustrator, reopening without a file, and then loading my file, DID work. 

So, for Adobe: the problem was with exporting to SVG using the Export For Screens panel. I did not update or change anything during the work session when it quit. I did reboot.  CC did not update in this timeframe. I'm using the latest update to CC version 2018 on Windows 10.

This is one of many issues I'm having since the latest update.  I'm still trying to resolve an issue with PhotoShop that causes all tool optoins to act as though I have right clicked. Reinstalling didn't work.  I'm very quickly losing faith in Adobe after the last update.  I've never seen so many issues with your software before this. I actually had to use The GIMP the other day to get something finished on time. I've reinstalled CC and all of the apps half a dozen times.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! This worked for me..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing.

That worked for me ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks that worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE on 12-MAR-2018: We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.

Please refer to the workaround here. Unable to export Artboards as SVG – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was annoyed when the problem was tagged as solved. Trashing preference files is so last-century.

Try using "Save a Copy..." under the File menu with SVG as the export format and checking "Use Artboards". It lacks the prefixing controls and some other conveniences of “Export for Screens...", but it has worked reliably for me. (Don't overlook the range option.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will this be released officially through Adobe CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not so sure about that (that it's fixed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Verified fixed in v22.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found a solution.

It seems that illustrator cc 2018 has some incompatibility with old preferences. I've restored them to default as explained here How to set preferences in Illustrator and now it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. Asset export to SVG format still does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't work for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've solved by doing this. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't group anything with a compound path either?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines