• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving photos and Catalogs LR Classic

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have LR Classic 2018 & PS CC 2018 on Windows 10 computer. The drive is 2TB. Photos use 320GB on that drive as default folder with catalogs. We want to replace this 2TB SATA drive with 512GB SSD. Want to clone from 2TB SATA to 512GB SSD but size of photo file used by LR & PS is too large. Want to have Windows 10 with programs running from SSD and all other data (photos, etc.) stored on the 2TB SATA drive. Since catalogs and photos are on 2 TB drive now, how do we temporarily migrate photos and catalogs as default in LR-PS to perhaps a 4TB external drive. Now when we clone from 2TB SATA to 512GB SSD, the photos don't go over. Then we would like to migrate that newly setup photo folder and catalog from the external 4TB drive to the 2TB SATA drive as the default catalog and photos for LR & PS?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Nothing. It works from wherever the photos are.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that you have all the photo folders in side one folder. Right click on a top level folder in Lightroom and choose Show Parent folder.

Do this until you have only 1 top level folder with all the others in it. Hopefully it'll be My Pictures or something like that. Copy this to your 4TB drive. Now in Lightroom right click on the top level folder and choose 'Update Folder Location'. Go to the copy you made on the new drive and select that. Lightroom now uses the files on the 4 TB drive.

Would make a good tutorial video.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sean,

Thanks you for responding so quickly.

When able, I will follow those instructions to see if I correctly interpreted it.

If able to do this first, when I then have cloned the 2TB drive to the 512GB drive, I should be able to reproduce the same folder update from the external 4TB drive to the now 2TB, data drive. Correct? It seems the key to keeping everything in order is to do it all from Lightroom. So, no loss of metadata, etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as you have everything in one folder in Lightroom,  you can copy outside Lightroom and reconnect using Update Folder Location.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great. When I finally do this, I will let you know.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anything we need to do with Photoshop CC 2018 regarding moving our photos to a new hard drive? As we have to with Lightroom Classic CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nothing. It works from wherever the photos are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines