Participant ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2018

Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.4

Macbook Pro

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to make a line of type be made out of different colored puzzle pieces.  The line of text would not be with broken puzzle pieces.  The outside edge I want clean and shaped like the font but filled in with each fitted piece of puzzle and each piece a separate color.  It's for Autism Awareness with those brightly colored puzzle pieces but fit together.......(within each letter of the type

I have a puzzle piece brush but not sure how to use it and then use a clipping mask of the type layer to define the colored pieces within it???  But really don't know how to do it... The puzzle pieces picture is just for color reference. Thank you for any and all suggestions!!!!! - Garry

Puzzle pieces and brush.pngType layer in Photoshop.pngJust a screen shot  of the layers panel.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Okay I'll give this a try!  And see what happens!  Thanks so much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You wouldn't use a brush. This is realyl a case of applying each peice as its own layer and arranging thoise, then applying whatever masking is needed on a merged layewr duplicate, smart object or whatever. No shortcuts here. It's going to be tedious and laboriuous.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mylenium -

Yes, thinking it's quite a process..

Do you think I could create the jigsaw and xoloers on a layer and then use the type layer to clip and define it to the type?

As in transparent letteres?  Or how would I do it?

Thanks so much for your help!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something line this?

1. A text layer

2. Jigsaw edge lines drawn with a hard round brush

3. Paint fills added with the paint bucket tool set to "All layers"

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dave -

This might be the easiest solution.  How do I dor it?  (I know to draw lines on another "jigsaw" layer - but then how do I fill in color within those lines - and how is that shape defined by the edge of the text?

Thanks so much for your help...!

Garry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

garry101  wrote

How do I do it?  (I know to draw lines on another "jigsaw" layer - but then how do I fill in color within those lines - and how is that shape defined by the edge of the text?

Hi

I clipped the jigsaw line layer to the text, so that it did not spill outside the lettering.

I filled the color layer with the paint bucket tool (which I rarely use but it was right for this occasion). By setting the tool to "Contiguous" and "All Layers" and using a solid background  it prevented the fill from going outside the letters. The background can be turned off/changed afterwards.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave for your help...

How did you clip the jigsaw layer to the text exactly?  Sorry daft and afraid!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing daft about it

To clip a layer to the layer beneath, so that pixels only show on the upper layer where there are solid pixels on the layer below, go to the layers panel and ALT-Click on the border between the two layers (Opt-Click on Mac). A small down arrow will appear next to the layer indicating that it is now clipped to the layer below.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have it Dave...

So the color fills layer was then clipped to the jigsaw lines layer and then the jigsaw lines layer was clipped to the text layer

as you show???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I first clipped the jigsaw lines to the text. Then when I added the layer for the colors I also clipped it so both were now clipped to the text layer. In this case the color layer didn't really need to be clipped because I used the paint bucket tool, however if I'd brushed it manually then the clipping would have prevented any spill outside the text from being visible. Also, if I'd brushed manually I would have put the black lines at the top - to keep them sharp (but still kept both clipped to the text layer)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I'll give this a try!  And see what happens!  Thanks so much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Dave -

Worked like a charm!  Took me awhile!!!

Thank you so much!!!

Garry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines