• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edited meta coding not putting to site.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took on editing a website using Dreamweaver having zero coding experience but picking it up along the way as I am purely a means to an end in terms of editing the site.

Anyway, I recently created two new pages for the site based on existing pages and literally copying everything across and then changing the material on the page and the web address.

The new pages I have created have put everything else on the site EXCEPT for the meta tags. I have changed these in the coding, but for some reason they STILL won't put to the site.

Example... This is what was left in the coding from another existing page that was created. NB: ** is hidden info I'd prefer to keep private.

<!DOCTYPE HTML>

<html lang="en"><head>

<meta charset="UTF-8" />

<link href="../css/site.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="../images/mayfields.ico" />

<style type="text/css">

</style>

<meta name="author" content="**" />

<meta name="description" content="**">

<meta name="keywords" content="**" />

<title>

**</title>

</head>

The two ** are the only bits of coding on this I have tried to change and are the bits I want changing, but won't put to the site when refreshed.

Many thanks for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

this article can be interesting... to explain why sometimes Google override your own meta description

Why Doesn't Google Use My Title Tag and Meta Description In Search Results? | First Scribe Blog

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you are not looking at a cached page in your browser. If possible look at the page in an alternative browser after you have changed the info in the meta tags and uploaded them to your site folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer - I've just tried with a different browser after refreshing and it still isn't changed.

What is happening is that for example...

Site Name - For Sale

www.website.com/events

Events happening at my company are...

Instead of

Site Name - Events

www.website.com/events

Events happening at my company are...

Because it is the 'For Sale' page I copied as the template to create 'Events' the tag line when I search for 'Site Name - Events' is the tag line of the old page that I replicated to edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you validate code and fix reported errors?

CC-BugReport.jpg

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To ensure that you get the correct answer without this growing into a guessing game, please supply a link to your site. That way we can see for ourselves what is going wrong.

Incidentally, "** is hidden info I'd prefer to keep private" is a bit of an oxymoron unless the site is never published.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is what it shows when I search the website with the details of Mayfields Farm events...

issuemayfieldssite.jpg

However, notice in my coding the details that should be in the title and the description, but they're not transferring across.

issuemayfieldssite2.jpg

When I created the page 'Events' I copied this page to create it with the following coding that I have edited as above.

issuemayfieldssite3.jpg

For example when I also paste the link onto social media, it comes up with the following.

issuemayfieldssite4.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this article can be interesting... to explain why sometimes Google override your own meta description

Why Doesn't Google Use My Title Tag and Meta Description In Search Results? | First Scribe Blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google listings doesnt update straight away, it takes time for it to read your updated page content. Look at the pages source code in your browser. If the correct title is there Google will catch up later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to Birnou's answer, it will take some time for search engine bots to discover the changes.

To speed the process up, have a look at https://neilpatel.com/blog/google-index/ or Google the subject.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all very much for your help, it's most appreciated. Hopefully it'll all catch up soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines