• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Snippets in Merged Projects

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2009 Feb 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anybody worked with Snippets in merged web-help projects? In particular I am interested in whether the snippets must be in their respective child projects, or can they all be in the parent project and shared by the child projects.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2009 Feb 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat

Snippets are project specific. You could have snippets in only a single child project if you like.

RoboHelp 8 offers a new Resources pod where you may store assets such as Snippets. Unfortunately, I'm not certain if this pod will give you what I suspect you are looking for. My spidey sense is tingling and telling me that you want an ability to declare a snippet in one single location and have several projects update as a result.

So how far did I miss the mark?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2009 Feb 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for reply.

You are correct, I would like to have a project that held all of my snippets and allowed me to reference them from other related projects. I'll have to take a look at RH8 to see if it might work there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 04, 2009 Feb 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Not that I've seen (RH 8).

I'm checking out the same scenario (7 writers, 42 projects), and it looks like we'll be doing this:

1. Create a separate "phantom" project that contains all snippets (maintained by a single user).

2, Create a single topic that has all snippets inserted, for easy viewing. (I'd probably add keywords as a "caption" for each inserted snippet, for easy searching, since some might have unsearchable images.)

3. Sync all snippets in the project to all local machines (daily?), effectively overwriting old versions.

You could also sync your user-defined variables by maintaining them in that same phantom project. The difference with udv's is that they are all contained in a project's rhvariable.apj file. This file could also be synced to all projects to propagate updates.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp