• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader crashes after digitally signing a document

Jun 07, 2016 Jun 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

until a week ago (or so) I used to digitally sign .pdf documents created with MS Word and exported as .pdf file before sending them by e-mail. I was using two different computers for this (a notebook and a desktop), both of them running Windows 10 (legally activated and regularly updated; both of them with Win 10 version 1511 build No. 10586.318). For the digital signature I used a USB dongle with my digital identity (Nexus Personal digital certificate), with a traceable digital certificate valid until December 31, 2016. Everything was working smooth on both computers - until suddenly something happened.

Now I am unable to digitally sign any .pdf document through Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Version 15.016.20045 using this digital certificate on any of my computers. I tried many different .pdf files created by MS Word, Autodesk Inventor, MS Visio, MS Excel, printed through different pdf printer drivers, pdf files downloaded from the web - non of them can be signed. First I thought the problem is with the certificate since it stopped on both devices - but it works fine with MS Outlook on both of them; I am regularly digitally signing my e-mails with this certificate.

Then, I uninstalled Acrobat, cleaned the registries reinstalled Acrobat - but the result is the same; still no digital signature. The symptoms are the following: when I insert the signature (marking with a rectangle in the pdf document where it shall be inserted, selecting the certificate and ticking the check-box to lock the document after signing it), Acrobat asks me to save the document; I see the certificate inserted in the document on the screen and obviously the document is saved, but at this moment Acrobat always crashes (hangs indefinitely and I have to stop it by the Task Manager). I can open the saved document, but due to the crash it is obviously missing something in the file, since the signatures are shown as invalid - thus the saved document is useless for me.

Interestingly, if I create a certificate within Acrobat Reader, I can still sign any document with that certificate; my problem is that our administration requires that the legally binding documents are signed with this particular certificate issued by authorized certificate providers...

Any idea why this happened with a software working normally before? I suspect that the issue is related to an update (either in Adobe Reader or in Windows 10), but since the updates are mostly happening without any warning in the background, I have no idea which one might be the source of the problem...

Help please...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Stand corrected, uninstalled again. Removed all Adobe Reader folders in C:\Program Files  (x86)\Adobe and %UserProfile%\Roaming\Adobe\

Now works as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jozefc2016 ,

Would like to inform that it seems that certificate is causing this behavior at your end.

Please recreate the certificate & check for the same.

Also is this happening on other system as well?

Regards,

Yatharth 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Yatharth,

thanks for your prompt response. It is hard to believe that the source of the problem is the certificate: the issue is the same on both of my computers, but as mentioned in my original post the same certificate still works with MS Outlook - I can digitally sign e-mails. Moreover, I can access the dongle containing the certificate through its maintenance software (Nexus Personal) and I can see the trace-ability of the certificate until the root certificate and I can change the PIN for using the certificate. Finally, today I was able to insert a digital signature using this dongle into an MS Word document successfully. If you could provide me your e-mail address I could send you a digitally signed e-mail, so that you can see the certificate itself as a proof that it is OK.

My only logical conclusion is that it is indeed Adobe Acrobat, which stopped working with the certificate as it used to work until a week ago...

Regards, Jozef.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2016 Jun 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

For testing purposes, you may try to rename Security folder at: C:\Users\user name \AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\product version (Dc or 2015) . Make sure Acrobat/Reader is closed

Don't delete the folder that will lead to the removal of your old digital id. Launch Acrobat and try to recreate your id or sign the document again. Check if the issue occurs.

If the issue still persists, you may delete the newly created security folder and rename the old one back to security.

When was the last time it was working fine?

Regards,

Tariq Dar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tariq,

thanks for your suggestion. I tried to rename the folder and then sign a document - unfortunately the result is the same; Acrobat hangs again. Acrobat found my certificate on the USB dongle immediately, but while saving the signed document it crashed as before and the saved document has an invalid certificate.

As you suggested, I deleted the newly created Security folder and renamed the original one.

Searching through my files I found that the oldest successfully signed document was made on May 9, 2016. After that I was out of office for some 10 days and since my return I am having this issue.

Regards, Jozef.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jozef,

Would you private message option(How Do I Send Private Message ) and help me with your contact information.

Regards,

Tariq Dar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 20, 2016 Jun 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After several suggestions made by Tariq (thanks for all the efforts) I am still unable to use Adobe Acrobat DC for signing my documents with the external dongle containing the certificate. For now, I uninstalled DC and installed the older Adobe Acrobat Reader Ver. 11 - which works perfectly with my certificate as it used to work before.

Obviously, there is some unidentified conflict between the latest update to Adobe Acrobat DC Ver. 15 and possibly some Win10 updates, which made the use of the certificate impossible.

I am not sure how much I am loosing from the functionality of the reader by reverting to Ver. 11, but at lest I got back the ability to digitally sign my documents, which is an essential feature for me. Until a completely new version 16 is released, I will not attempt to do any upgrades - after that I will give it a try, but store the installation file of the good old Ver. 11 at hand for downgrade just in case...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, uninstalled, cleaned cache on AppData as written, re-installed. It worked perfectly for me. Many thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having a similar problem. When I try to complete a AAR form, the software locks up my PC after filling in the first blank. The only option after this is to reboot my PC. I thought the issue may be with the new DC version so I uninstalled it and went back to version XI which has the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seemed to work for me.

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader

Right click the AcroRd32.exe and select Properties

Select the Compatibility Tab

Check the box that says Run this program in compatibility mode for:

Choose Windows 7 from the drop down

Select Change settings for all users if applicable

Select OK to exit

Adobe reader should now launch normally without error.

Hope this helps someone else. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Tariq,

as stated above, Ver. 11 works fine for me, even if I am not running it in compatibility mode... My issues are related to the newer versions of Adobe Reader. I did not try any recent versions, since I do not want to lose time by experimenting anymore. Thanks anyway, Jozef.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked Perfectly Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was there a fix found for this issue?  We are currently using this with numerous employees at my organization, and they are experiencing this issue when trying to digitally sign documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not aware of a fix. Still using the old 11.0.18 version, which works fine with digital signatures... Occasionally this version also crashes (~once in 100 cases; last time 2-3 months ago and I am signing ~5 documents dily), but after restarting Reader it works fine again. It is a shame Adobe has no intention to fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.248] with Adobe Reader DC and Adobe Reader DC Continuous Release | Version 20.18.009.20044 has just started crashing when digital signatures is  working when "Digitally Sign" is selected when signing a PDF.

Uninstalled, reinstalled. Renamed the security folder, changed compatibility mode.

Nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stand corrected, uninstalled again. Removed all Adobe Reader folders in C:\Program Files  (x86)\Adobe and %UserProfile%\Roaming\Adobe\

Now works as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to be having a similar problem on a Mac.  When I click on "sign", Acrobat Reader crashes.  The "force quit" menu shows that both Acrobat Reader and Microsoft Outlook are "not responding".  After killing both of those, I still cannot launch Acrobat.  I initiate a restart. and then find that both Microsoft Word and Terminal are also "not responding". After finishing the restart, I leave all Microsoft Office apps unlaunched.  I can then use Acrobat Reader to sign a pdf with no problem.

I conclude that Acrobat's electronic signature capability is incompatible with a running Outlook process.

Versions:

macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6

Acrobat Reader DC 2018.011.20058

Microsoft Outlook for Mac Version 16.16 (180812)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines