• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dear GAWD Anyone please Help. 4 Hrs gone photoshop is killing me!!

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone could please help me it would be a god send ive been jacking around for over 4 hours and im no closer to solving my problems than when i first started even after watching 30 tutorials.

Problem #1

I dont seam to have any problems cutting out photos however no matter what i do when i drop  a background photo on top of my person they wont merge. Ive seen it done 100 times on You tube take a person drop a background boom no problem. It seams like with most people when they drop a background it merges no problem and the thumbnail icon is just of there background. But whenever i drop a background over a picture and then hit place my thumbnail of my background has what looks like a little folder in the lower right hand corner. And ive tried 100 different combinations but my subject never overlays my background at best its stuck behind the background.

Problem #2

Like i said previously i dont have much problem using pen tool option to cut out photos. However when i go to select and mask and attempt to smooth the edges i get nothing. Ive watched a thousand different videos and it seams like every time  they hit view they get a variety of colored pictures i get none. Black and white ,red.Me? Onion skin empty. marching ants,overlay and on black are all just the picture im attempting to change with no colors but the original colors of the picture. So i gave up on that.

So then i tried the option of holding holding the shift key and hitting select and mask which did bring up what im assuming presumably is the old refine edge box which did nothing for me. So i went to the refine edge tool just like ive seen in one million tutorials. They hit the little brush and go to the picture and immediately start cleaning it up. I hit the brush and every time no matter doesnt matter if i hit smart radius,smooth feather anything when i go to the picture i get " Could Not Complete Your Request Because There Is NO Selection To Refine.Make An Inital Selection Before Using The Refine Edge Brush Tool. OMG nothing on earth should be this hard.Dear God can anyone please help me and bless you in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot taken with the pertinent Panels (Layers, Channels, Options Bar, ā€¦) visible?

And ive tried 100 different combinations but my subject never overlays my background at best its stuck behind the background.

That does not seem to make sense, canā€™t you move the Layer in the Layers Panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like i said previously i dont have much problem using pen tool option to cut out photos. However when i go to select and mask and attempt to smooth the edges i get nothing.

Paths are not Selections, so what exactly are you talking about?

If you want to make a Selection from a Path you can do so in the Paths Panel ā€“ Ā»Make SelectionĀ« from the fly-out menu or the Ā»Load path as a selectionĀ«-icon at the bottom of the Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your reply and i just cant figure out what im doing wrong. No matter what i try it just seams like im incapable of blending the two pictures together or getting the brush tool to smooth my edges. Thank you for any advice. The second picture shows my original background but ive also attempted deleting it and just going with the becah thumb nail and the layer of me and my nephew but no matter what i try i cant get us on the beach or smooth the edges. Thank youUntitled2.jpg475.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to think about the order of your layers and how to change the order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand you correctly, your first problem can be fixed by moving the beach image layer down until it is under the layer with the people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately i tried that this morning  doing it in reverse order and starting with the beach and then droping us on the beach but same results the two pictures wouldnt mesh correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

75.jpg76.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first picture is where i put the beach down and then placed us on it. The second picture is where all attempts to mesh the two pictures occured i just dont understand what im doing wrong. I mean i imagine i could use the earser and ger out the whiite or the pen but id like to be able to do it the correct way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.s I aslo made sure to get on the second picture on the thumbnail of the beach im not sure why in the lower right hand corner you see like that little folder icon. I watched 20 tutorials last night and no one else had that on there thumbnail. And it never pops up until i drop the beach photo and then i hit place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The symbol on the beach layer thumbnail is indicating that the beach image has been placed in a smart object. That just acts as a container and can double click on it to open the container and edit the contents. That is not the problem here.

Your issue is the layer order. In Photoshop images are viewed looking from the top layer downwards. So the beach layer is covering up the people layer. Just drag the people layer (labelled layer 1) to the top in the layers panel.

It looks like you need to follow some tutorials on masking to get the edges to blend. In Photoshop we tend to make a selection then turn the selection into a mask. The advantage is that the mask can be refined and altered later - which is not the case with a copied/cut out section.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im not sure what you mean at the moment the people is labled #70 at the top if i try an drop it on layer 0 it does nothing so im not sure exactly looking at the box what you mean by the :"top of the panel " thank you. Umm and ive watched about 20 tutorials on masking to get the edges to blend and i follow step by step exactly to the letter what they do in the videos and i always get the error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

charlesd65379012  wrote

........ Umm and ive watched about 20 tutorials on masking to get the edges to blend and i follow step by step exactly to the letter what they do in the videos and i always get the error message.

You are getting the error message because you are trying to refine a selection and you have not made any selection.

You only need two layers.

The beach layer and the people layer - make the selection round the person and if in Select and Mask choose Output to Layer Mask. If you made your selection outside of Select and Mask then go to Layer >Layer Mask >Reveal Selection

The layer mask is the black and white thumbnail next to the image thumbnail. Where it is black the layer is hidden, where it is white the layer shows. You can click on the mask thumbnail and paint directly with a black/white brush to change it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This i think was extremely helpful  and i appreciate you taking a moment to actually not just tell me but to show me what im doing Big Thanks!! I cant wait to try it but when i wake up since i was up till 7 this morning watching tutorials. Thanks Dave!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You donā€™t rearrange layers by dropping them ON layers. Drag in the layer palette and drop between, before, or after. This is very basic and very important; the tutorials probably assume you already know this stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the tutorials probably assume you already know this stuff.

And quite frankly, charlesd65379012, it seemed like you did not understand the difference between Paths and Selections, so maybe you should start with basic tutorials to familiarise yourself with Photoshop principles and terminology.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other people have been really helpful and have explained things in terms i understand now and while  i  certainly dont mind "constructive criticism " over my lack of every term yes even some basic ones if your only goal is simply to chastise someone today do me a favor and keep it to yourself .Thank you in advance of any further replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.s And perhaps part of what you said in your own way was correct.  I should get some sleep and start over from square one watching alot of  basic tutorials and taking tedious notes along the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My suggestion is that you take a Basic Photoshop class because I can tell that you are in way over your head.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines