Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keywords / Metadata (sometimes) not being displayed

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I recently "upgraded" from Lightroom v6 to Lightroom Classic CC v7.2. I've had nothing but trouble since the upgrade.

The main problem of many is that when I select an image, the Keywording panel simply displays "Working...", sometimes returning between 1 to 10  minutes later with the correct keywords, but usually never returning at all.

working.png

The problem seems to be intermittent, but will usually happen after the program has been running for about 20 minutes, and will happen even if nothing has been done since starting the program.

Restarting the program will solve the problem briefly, but is obviously not a great solution as it severely disrupts my workflow.

Anyway, has anyone else seen this issue or know how to resolve it?

My catalogue has around 31000 images and about 15000 keywords, and I'm running on a 2010 iMac with 12Gb RAM, 3.2 GHz i3 processor and macOS High Sierra 10.13.4.

Thanks in advance for any help...

--

Ian

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this too, usually when you have multiple images selected. So far it was just a matter of time, though. Eventually it did show.

I've reported it to Adobe as a bug.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohanEl54 - Just having one image selected will instigate the problem for me unfortunately. This sort of thing used to work very smoothly in the LR 6 catalogue, so maybe it's a problem that occurred during the conversion of the catalogue to the new format?

In any case, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who has experienced this problem!

For the record, I've not noticed the problem when using a brand new catalogue created in LR Classic CC 7.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's not a problem caused by the conversion of the catalog, because I've never seen it in Lightroom Classic 7.0 through 7.2. It's a problem that started with Lightroom Classic 7.3 as far as I can tell.

One thing you may want to try: Go to Lightroom Preferences - Performance and turn off GPU acceleration. In previous versions of Lightroom the GPU was only used in the Develop module, but now it's also used elsewhere. I can't say for sure yet, but it looks like it solves the problem on my iMac.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm! I don't have LR Classic 7.3 installed - I went from the final version of v6 straight to v7.2 - waiting for the bugs to be ironed out!

Thanks for the suggestion about the GPU, but I've had GPU acceleration switched off ever since v6 was introduced as it caused more problems than it solved in my opinion!

Is there any way to get the software to produce a log file? Maybe there's a clue to be found in there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had something like this happen for many versions (not just 7.n) on my mac, usually when the machine is busy, and not always getting 'working'. For some reason it doesn't seem to always complete the processing cycle when you go to another image in the library.

A work-around that seems to 'fix it' is to switch to either the previous/next image in the grid and then return to the image with the problem. Not good but quicker than exiting and restarting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, switching images simply compounds the problem, as after it has taken time to retrieve keywords and metadata for the first selected image, it then goes through the same process to obtain the data for the next image.

Eventually, it stops retrieving data for any image, and even though you can enter new keywords, and change metadata, the information you provide isn't remembered after a restart.

You basically have to restart the program to get it working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For may people, these symptoms are caused by Sync With LIghtroom CC.  See this help article for details and workarounds: Issues after updating to Lightroom Classic CC 7.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've never installed Lightroom CC, nor have I ever used the old Lightroom Mobile sync! Currently the "Sync with Lightroom CC" option is being reported as Paused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've never installed Lightroom CC, nor have I ever used the old Lightroom Mobile sync! Currently the "Sync with Lightroom CC" option is being reported as Paused.

Well, at least that is ruled out. Sometimes sync gets turned on without the user being aware of it, but that's not the case here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmm! Well, after spending a week or so enduring the Keywording panel simply displaying "Working...", and having to continuously restart Lightroom to do pretty much anything, I decided to install v7.3.

I was very reluctant to do this having read numerous complaints about it in this forum.

However, it couldn't be any worse than v7.2, could it?

Well, no, it isn't. In fact the update seems to have fixed my problem - for the time being! Okay, v7.3 has its own issues, but at least I can now get on with my work without having to restart the program three or four times an hour.

--

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines