• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 5 Does Not Save Updated Project Title

Participant ,
Nov 04, 2010 Nov 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following problem seems true of all projects that are based on a template, but I will give just one example:

I have a template that already has a value filled in in the "Project Title" field of the Publish dialog. (The value is Quiz Template).

When I create a new project based on the template and open the Publish dialog, the project title is initially "Quiz Template". I then change the title to one that is suitable for the actual project and publish it, and save and close the project. However, the next time I reopen the project to republish it, the title has reverted to Quiz Template.

Is there a way to make Captivate store the updated project title so I don't have to remember to correct it every time I republish the project?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 22, 2011 Mar 22, 2011

The important part of the trick is that you must Save As to an entirely different name in an entirely different folder, then publish your project again with the new title.

Then you can Save As the original file name into the original folder (overwriting the original file) and your title should remain as you want.

Saving As in the same folder as the original doesn't usually achieve the change.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2010 Nov 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had exactly the same problem when trying to publish in Captivate 5. When I go to publish, I open the Publish dialog, change the current project title to what I want, publish the project (and the output files correctly show the new title). But when I next come to publish, the title has reverted to its original value.

Unfortunately, no amount of trawling through the menu options appears to provide an answer.

Is there a Captivate developer who can help with this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 22, 2011 Mar 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem myself. there has to be a fix for this. i even went in and cleared (deleted all content) from the Adobe Captivate Cached Projects folder located at:

\My Documents\Adobe Captivate Cached Projects

no luck. the original title is there.

not good.

hopefully there will be a fix for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just after making my post last year I discovered that

if you save the Captivate project (using Save As to rename it) the

new project name is used in the project title. You might like to try using save as to see if you can change the project title that way.

I've not tried it since, so I can't make any promises...

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The important part of the trick is that you must Save As to an entirely different name in an entirely different folder, then publish your project again with the new title.

Then you can Save As the original file name into the original folder (overwriting the original file) and your title should remain as you want.

Saving As in the same folder as the original doesn't usually achieve the change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 24, 2011 Mar 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, RodWard and SteveM and other contributors. I've voted for Rod's answer as the "Correct" one, but it builds on Steve's work.

I haven't experimented with Anjaneai's suggestion yet.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 23, 2011 Mar 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

Guys I think you try opening the Template by

Open Captivate  the File > Open > ( Default Location of Captivate Projects ) My Document> My Adobe Captivate projects > Templates> Project template > Quiz > Project_Name (lets Say you select this)

Then you make some Changes to the Default template then go File > SAVE AS> (It would save the file as a New Template with a.cptl extension) choose the same location and a New_Template_Name .

Now this New Template would be available for your use and you wont have remember the changes everytime.

Thanks and Regards,

Anjaneai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 29, 2011 Mar 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on the previous discussion in this thread, I've now adopted the strategy that when I create a new project based on a template, my very first action (even before saving the new project for the first time) is to publish the project, setting the required project title. I then save the new project. That ensures that the correct project title will be in place in the Publish dialog window for all subsequent publish actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2011 Jul 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is astonishing that we must continue to jump through such hoops to use an expensive authoring application in its fifth generation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2011 Jul 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To my knowledge this issue only resulted where projects were being upgraded from Captivate 4, or where templates created in Captivate 4 were upgraded to Captivate 5 and then used to spawn projects.

I've not experienced the issue in any project created from scratch in Captivate 5 or above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2011 Jul 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>   I've not experienced the issue in any project created from scratch in Captivate 5 or above.

Well, now you know someone who did. My project was authored in 5.0.1.624. This might now be quite the latest version, but the gotcha of not being able to rename project titles should never have been an issue with any version of Captivate. I suppose the income we tech writers provide Adobe is low compared with those Photoshop-loving graphic designers. Still, it's not right that we endure hours of drudgery and endless workarounds to produce elearning deliverables, just because the billionnaire developer is unwilling to devote the resources necessary to bring Captivate up to the standard of, say, InDesign. This is what happens when one developer buys up the competition. (I know there are some very fine people working at Adobe helping people like me, some of them right here on this forum. My frustrated words are not aimed at them. Quite the contrary, they are all that stand between us users and a black hole of bugs and "undocumented issues.".)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 24, 2011 Aug 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully agree. Even at corporate level this is not cheap software.

This particular issue has been bugging me for a long time [since day 1 of using Captivate some 2 years ago] so this discussion has really helped me a lot.

We bought, installed and have been trained using 5.02.630 having had no previous knowledge or experience of Captivate.

We are creating simple in-company e-learning modules, and because of the low level of experience, minor changes have had to be made to modules and republished. This includes language variations where the only change may be such as Project Title_en; Project Title_de etc.

This has proved risky and even embarrassing before we discovered this issue, which itself became an issue as we struggled to find the right folder / files to upload to our portal.

It has also taken sometimes as long to republish as to correct an error or omission.

What also irritates me is that there are actually no help files. In my opinion, basic issues in the use of software should not be down to a benevolent community, and having to trawl through a series of answers to a search.

But at least this one is solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 28, 2011 Sep 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction - not solved - it's a workround to a very annoying problem within an expensive piece of software.

Adobe obviously make too much out of their customers to want to make things right for customers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2012 Mar 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue with the Project Title not saving when changed in Captivate 5.5. Using Save As did not make any difference. I was able to work around it though.

I renamed the .cptx file (filenameFIXED.cptx or something. ) When I opened that file the Project Title was blank, and the new Project Title saved just fine. I am not sure what else disappeared with the little work around, but since I had tried the "correct" method several times with no joy, I thought I'd put this up here so the next person doesn't have to face the same frustration.

Dear Adobe, $1000 for a suite upgrade that is this buggy? WTH?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 12, 2012 Mar 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually upgrading to 5.5 resulted in good news for us with regard to this particular issue. I can now freely change the Project Title as many times as I choose and the last Title is always remembered. In testing mode this has finally eliminated so much frustration.

[ In case it matters to anyone it is version 5.5.0.257 ]    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hopeful when I saw that this issue had an answer, but soon became disappointed when it was clearly a workaround.  I wonder how much time we all have wated retyping the Project Title and then, subsequenlty, with the workaround.  I guess it's not going to be fixed since 5.5 and now 6 are out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there was no patch issued for this Cp5 issue during the reign of Cp 5.5 then there's no way you'll get a fix for this after Cp6 has been released.  Sorry.  Adobe's priorities will have moved on now.

But in any case, I heartily recommend you consider now pushing for an upgrade to Cp6 as this version has so many extra features and is the first Cp version to really support HTML5 in any serious manner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2012 Jul 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod,

Yes, you are right on both accounts. I think there will be a need for CP6 here very soon. I am still a little bitter about our upgrade from CP4 to CP5, though. We were told that there would not be another release of CP for a while when we purchased the TechComm suite last year. I believe it was 32 days later that CP 5.5 came out. Adobe would not upgrade us for free. I tried and tried. Nope, it was outside of the 30 day window.

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 18, 2014 Sep 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks 'KnowingHappiness' and others here! It works if I rename the file, open and re-publish, save and upon re-opening the title is retained.
I'm using Cp7 and this is STILL an issue!

Maybe best saved for another post, but the issues I have with Captivate seem to increase on an almost daily basis. Frustrating things like the 'Captivate Not Responding' dialog, when just trying to do simple tasks,  like importing/updating a PPT file, publishing to swf, or opening a file.
I have a fast and powerful computer, but it seems Cp is just asking too much of the processor at times. I've used ToolBook and Lectora extensively and have not had NEARLY this many issues with eLearning Development software as with Captivate.
I come from a Graphic Design background and while I'm a big fan of Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign,, I'm about to give up on Cp, so I can finally quit banging my head against the desk and get some work done while feeling the software is working WITH me, not AGAINST me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto that! I am using CP7 and this is still happening. I just found this old thread to look for an answer as I have wasted a ton of time always retyping the Project Title. Adobe - this is soooo annoying - please fix it already!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user forum, if you want to be 'heard' by Adobe, please file a bug or feature request.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Captivate 2017, and it still does the same thing. Rod's fix didn't work for me.

The original file was on a corporate server. I did "Save as" and saved it to my local hard drive, and renamed the project during the save. I double-checked in the folder on my local hard drive and the file name is, in fact, different from what it was on the server.

When I select Publish > Publish to Computer, it still has the old, obsolete text in the Project Title field.

I correct the Project Title text, publish, click Save on the toolbar, and publish again. It still has the incorrect, immutable/eternal text in the Project Title field.

My work-around is going to have to be that I correct the project name every time I publish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is amazing that here we are in 2017 and users are still having this issue. I create a project, save, publish. A month or so later make an update, re-save with a revision name, and the project title stays the same as the original. Just counter intuitive. I am using Captivate 8. For logistical reasons I cannot update a newer version. Just a vent here. We are stuck using this so have no choice but jump through the hurdles that should't be there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no fix in 2018 almost 8 years since the problem was posted. The fix doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are on a network, the Save As still might not work. Move the .cptx file to your desktop, rename the project in the Publish Settings, and save. Then you can move the .cptx file back to the network. I just did 18 of these over the past 12 work hours.

Paula

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources