• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brush tool only making dots

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to do a scribble effect for a music video I am working on but When I try to use the brush tool in After effects to create strokes, lines, etc., the brush only makes a dot and doesn't follow through with my mouse. Any way to fix this? I think i might be doing something wrong but nobody else seems to have this issue.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your settings. Check the help files. Paint is not necessarily intuitive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue with all my project files now (I believer right after the recent update). I cannot make proper strokes with any brush tool (eraser, brush, rotobrush, etc) & it only makes 1 dot.

I have been unable to find any answers or fixes yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of people who updated to AE 15.1.0 -- the newest -- reported the same problem.  Apparently the update broke some functionality.

If you have neither the time, the inclination nor the tech know-how to fix it yourself, you can always revert to 15.0.1 and wait for the bug fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS??? Paint is working just fine OSX 10.13.1 on both my Mac's. I checked every mode. Can't break it. Please file a bug it is really a bug for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  By all means you should fulfill your unwitting membership in the Adobe Unpaid Beta Tester Program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when will it be fixed. I'm having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe follows true to form, in about 3-4 months.  If you're not that patient, revert to the previous update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently using the trial version of After Effects Pro. If I buy into the subscription, will I be able to download a previous version of after effects or will I be stuck with this updated version leaving me with the same issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll have access to everything Adobe's got from CS6 on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks man you really helped out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that I was having this same problem; I reverted to the most recent earlier version (15.1 rather than 15.0.1) and the problem was resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so how do I revert back to a previous version. I have access to CC but I only see one option for download

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reverted back and problem is solved thanks everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im having the exact same issue! OP how did you revert your version back? Are you still in trial mode?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I subscribed and it gave me the option to download previous versions. It seems that's the only way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue after the update. Older versions of After Effects work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To fix this issue, rest your After Effects preferences. Also, if you are using. Wacom pen there are some known issues so update this to the latest driver. If theses steps don’t work then you can change your After Effects version by going to the Creative Cloud app. Unistall your current version. Then if you choose to view all versions you can select the version to install and run that installer. It is all done from your Creative Cloud control panel. See link below for further instructions.

can you please mark the correct answer that helped you so that this thread is marked as resolved and so that others can easily find the solution. Thanks 🙂

Install a previous version of any Creative Cloud application

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

The new patch of After Effects(15.1.1) fixed this issue & is live in Creative Cloud app. Please update and let us know the status.

Thanks,

Vidya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not working for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change your Brush Duration setting to "Write On"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG! same thing happened to me, i was trying to do apply scribble effect i learnt from Okblizz for my Music Video but everytime i try to draw with the brush tool, it makes dots and its annoying tbh lol, but i fixed it by just updating the version of my After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem. It occurred with one user setting and not my other.

Therefore I thought a problem in the panel menu.

In the panel Menu top right with Brush selected it will have a picture of a brush and and arrow.

Click the arrow.

Select the box which says  current tool only.

It fixed the problem for me. I am in latest update version.

paulscottfilms@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it has to do with a drawing tablet. I found this out when I was drawing in touch mode. It used to work endlessly. After I used my friends drawing tablet, it had this problem. To fix it, every time you do one stroke, you have to press the Pressure Stylus Enable Button. It is pretty annoying but it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Experienced Solution:

"Window"
then
"Brush Settings"

then
putting off the hook from "structure"
(left side of the boxmenu)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines