Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Searching PDF for words that break onto two lines

Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am saving a FrameMaker file to PDF and want to search tables in the document for phrases/words that break onto two lines.  However, I can only find the phrase when I search for the part of the phase that is on the first line.  In the attached example, I search for "user subscription charging ty" and find both instances.  If I search for "user subscription charging type", I only find the one instance - the phrase in the second column.  Acrobat seems to add a space when a word breaks onto a second line.

I need to be able to search for a specific, complete phrase because many of the command parameters break onto two lines and it's a large document with many similar parameters.

Does anyone know why it's behaving like this and if I can correct it?

Thanks

Emma

Running FrameMaker 2015 version 13.0.5.547 and Acrobat XI Pro on Windows 7 Pro.

charging type ss.png

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

It's possible to do it, but it's up to the application that creates the PDF file to set it up correctly. If it doesn't, the search command won't find those instances.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible to do it, but it's up to the application that creates the PDF file to set it up correctly. If it doesn't, the search command won't find those instances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, try67, I have posted the same question to the FrameMaker forum.

Looking at the FrameMaker file, there seems to be a space between "ty" and "pe", but I cannot select it.  That would explain the space in the PDF and why the PDF search fails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely, yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, hopefully the FrameMaker folks can help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines