• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My Raw .cr2 Files Lost Their Extensions, Cannot Access Update Server, CS6

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mercy, It may be coincidence but right after a windows 10 Home update I cannot open raw files because their .cr2 extensions are gone.

It took me a while to see it. I reinstalled, same thing, tried to update and get the cannot access the server error. Its not the fire wall.

Ran dng converter and I think it failed because of the extensions missing. It may have taken them out. I'm pretty mixed up right now..

I'm in trouble.

Now that I did the re-install install I'm back at version 13.0 (13.0 20120315.r.428 2012/03/15:21:00:00) x64

Where is the camera raw .exe file so I can try to do an open with and point to it?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Bridge CS6 and point to the folder with your raws in it.  You should see the thumbnails. Ctrl + r on any raw file thumbnail to open it in Camera Raw.

Also be sure extensions are enabled in Windows. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/show-file-extensions-in-windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it odd that any update would remove .cr2, but you can manually add .cr2 to a Canon file and see if that's the problem.

If so, select all your raw files in Bridge use Bridge Tools > Batch rename to restore the extension

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Thats alot of work if you know what I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a Mac user, so all I know is disk imaging backups and Time Machine Recovery.

I'll see if I can find a Windows Expert.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do recall that when you reinstall CS6, you need to update the Adobe Application Manager before Help > Updates will work.

You can get the update here: Adobe - Adobe Application Manager : For Windows : Adobe Application Manager

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! Thanks! Application manager updated. Updates working right now. Maybe the file extensions will come back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice your raws start with IMG_XXXX 

Bridge supports Smart Collections where you can select that as a search criteria. All these raws are then gathered into one place no matter where they are on your computer. do a Ctrl A to select them all.

Use Batch Rename to append .cr2 as an extension and it should get them all.

But check to see if adding .cr2 will fix it. Try it on one file and you should see a raw thumbnail in Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge supports Smart Collections where you can select that as a search criteria. All these raws are then gathered into one place no matter where they are on your computer. do a Ctrl A to select them all.

Use Batch Rename to append .cr2 as an extension and it should get them all.

But check to see if adding .cr2 will fix it. Try it on one file and you should see a raw thumbnail in Bridge.

I have did this in a folder and it renamed them all and they are fixed. Are you saying I can do a batch re-name across multiple folders without changing their locations?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct. I have a smart folder where the search criteria is for files ending in .psd

When the search is done, all PSD files are in that one window and I can select, rename or delete a file where ever it is.

I can test that by checking the original folder to see it's done.

Play with it a bit until you understand the idea.

Here's one article: https://industrydev.com/creating-editing-deleting-smart-collections-in-adobe-bridge/

You should google a few more so that you better understand.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Good People,

I still wonder what did it in the 1st place but you cured my angst.

At the same time you prepared me for the 80D raw files that CS6 Raw version will not open. The DNG machine will be my saving grace there.

I don't like Adobe cloud at all. I feel me and my images are being held hostage for monthly or yearly ransom. I just want to update Photoshop and cameras every decade or so. I don;t process images enough to justify the rent.

Its the way of the future. I read where Android developers are moving towards apks you don;t have to run from your phone. You run them online and they wanted us to feel excited about it. Sooner or later we will have to pay to use apks instead of owning them.

Thanks Again People

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you describe (apps running online) is not limited to Android. It's called "software as a service" (SaaS). Some devices (like ChomeBooks) have no other kind of app. Adobe have a few of these (like ExportPDF converter) but the main Creative Cloud apps are not SaaS, despite the name.

If you update your system or run Windows 10 you will soon find all your old apps need updating, so if you want to opt out, freeze your system - and of course stay off the internet, as you will be very exposed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I agree. I just see to what end some  things are going.

Adobe CC pricing is OK for pros  but for occasional use  it's kind of high.

I'll dial in the dng conv until it gets disabled.

Thanks again folks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but its not that simple here.

Yes extensions are shown.

What happened is all my raw files got stripped of their extensions. When they are revealed in explorer they do not show as other file types in the folder do.

Something happened. I cannot even fix it with a reinstall. And to compound matters I cannot access the update server. Ugh!

What I can do is a batch rename doing the "new extension" thing and its flies them but I have tons of files in tons of folders.

I feel a system format coming. Hate it.

Here is a screen shot of a folder.

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines