• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clipped Adjustment Layers Horrible Bug?

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, I Searched other threads about this, but nothing similar got answered with a proper solution.

Here is the problem:

When I apply a Curves Adjustment on a layer below by making a  Clipping mask out of it, the adjustment doesn't behave as it it is supposed to.
It affects only the luminosity of colors.
If no clipping mask is set the curves work normally.
On pasted images the clipped curves works normally too.

See below for example:

Unclipped:

not clipped.PNG

not clipped 2.PNG

Clipped:

clipped.PNG

clipped 2.PNG

You can also see the histogram changes drastically on the properties.

both layer modes are set to normal.

Masking areas works also fine, but that totally defeats the purpose of clipping mask since I dont want to waste time on creating mask for every changes i do on the layer that i want to affect with curves.

I tried resetting and fresh install, none of them worked.

Is there something i am missing or dont understand? because this is happening only on the latest versions of my PS.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

I honestly don't see anything unexpected here - with one proviso: You do need to view this at 100% zoom. Apparently you don't (that part of the screenshot is cut off) - and that means you get a screen artifact where line art apparently gets lighter or darker with a tonal adjustment like a curve. It really doesn't. View at 100% and you'll see.

Is that what you mean?

For performance reasons, adjustment previews are based on the on-screen zoom ratio. At less than 100%, you get a scaled and softened v

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I honestly don't see anything unexpected here - with one proviso: You do need to view this at 100% zoom. Apparently you don't (that part of the screenshot is cut off) - and that means you get a screen artifact where line art apparently gets lighter or darker with a tonal adjustment like a curve. It really doesn't. View at 100% and you'll see.

Is that what you mean?

For performance reasons, adjustment previews are based on the on-screen zoom ratio. At less than 100%, you get a scaled and softened version, and this introduces intermediate gray values where the original is in fact full white or full black. A curve adjustment has no effect on full black and full white. They are both entirely unaffected - but on screen they appear to be affected because of the softening.

So go to 100% and try again. Then come back if you're still not happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you very much, it is like you said. I tried the same thing on a retina monitor on 100% resolution and the artifact wasn't showing up anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks Like normal behavior.

In your unclipped examples the curves are darkening or lightening the entire image, including the background layer.

In your clipped examples the curves are only acting on the layer immediately below. Either darkening or lightning the pixel content. The reds go darker but still remain color. The background "white" is untouched by this curves move.

As for the histograms. They are relating the information that is available. In the unclipped example a lot of the grey/white/light tones are available from the background layer.

In the clipped example there is no solid grey/white/light tone available so the spikes on the left and right are a direct selection of what is in the layer below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines