• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preset wont show up if the file name start with ~

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, i did fresh installed of the lightroom cc on my mac, then i copy the preset from my mac desktop to the macbook, then i realised the preset wont show up. so i check the folder link it was correct.

turns out the preset contains ~ symbol infront that caused this problem because i did try to remove the symbol in one preset and it show up right away on the preset.

is there any way to fix it without rename it?

OS Macbook : High sierra

OS Mac : Sierra

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 8.51.50 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

When Lightroom Classic updates from 7.2 to 7.3 it converts all  .LRTEMPLATE preset files to .XMP files in a new folder {Settings}.

It also leaves the .LRTEMPLATE preset files with the tilde '~' prefix added to the file name so that 7.3 does not convert the presets a second time.

If you are copying Presets between two computers both running v7.3 then copy the .XMP versions in the {Settings} folder.

(or remove the Tilde by renaming and Copy and Paste to the 'old' folder location {Develop Presets} whe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tilde is a reserved character in Mac OS X as in most Unix systems and it stands for the location of the user's home directory. Similar to characters like the slash "/", "?", and "*" and such they can cause all kinds of problems even though Finder itself seems to have no problems with them. You shouldn't use these in filenames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didnt rename or name this file.  It’s automatically set by the imac. I just copy the whole folder and transfer it to my macbook. Weirdly that imac can recognised the preset. How did that happened to high sierra (macbook pro) if the problem here caused by the OS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Lightroom Classic updates from 7.2 to 7.3 it converts all  .LRTEMPLATE preset files to .XMP files in a new folder {Settings}.

It also leaves the .LRTEMPLATE preset files with the tilde '~' prefix added to the file name so that 7.3 does not convert the presets a second time.

If you are copying Presets between two computers both running v7.3 then copy the .XMP versions in the {Settings} folder.

(or remove the Tilde by renaming and Copy and Paste to the 'old' folder location {Develop Presets} where they will be converted.)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much! its working now!!

so if i moving the presets, i need to copy the XML now since the current presets contain tilde prefix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

paanj19798098  wrote

so if i moving the presets, i need to copy the XML now

Yes.  The v7.3 .XMP preset files in their new location

the current presets contain tilde prefix?

No. The "OLD" v7.2  .LRTEMPLATE presets contain tilde prefix?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks WobertC! I had forgotten about the automatic .xmp conversion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines