Exit

Insert pictures

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone!

Premiere Pro newbie here.

I've searched the forum already and followed some instructions and tips I found, but still the pictures I insert into my video turn out pixelated.

video screenshot.png

I set my export settings to:

• Format” select “H.264”
  • “Profile” to “High” and “Level” to “4.2”. Then make sure your “Width” is set to “1,920” and your “Height” is set to “1,080”. Set your frame rate to “23.976”, and check the “Render at Maximum Depth.”
  • Under “Bitrate Settings” set “Bitrate Encoding” to “CBR” and your “Target Bitrate [Mbps] to “40.” Lastly, check “Use Maximum Render Quality” at the bottom.

My playback preview resolution, both still and playback, are on "full".

When I insert the image (PNG, 54.2KB, 3853x779px) it is actually too big for the sequence. So I size it down with the graphics tool:

resizing tool.png

I tried both. Inserting it with the graphics tool. This "new layer" and also drag&drop through the media browser.

What else could it be?

Thank you already for your help!

Best,
Alex

PS: I tried exporting the picture from Illustrator in 300ppi (was also pixelated) and also another version with 150px height (also pixelated and actually took up almost have the video height! Which it shouldn't in a HD video - neither in 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720. Right?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

I should add that if most of your source videos are 960x540, you might find that they don't look so good at 1920x1080. You might consider a compromise of using a 720p29.97 Sequence, which is 1280x720 and is still considered as HD video. Your videos will be blown up a little bit, and still images will still look good as 720p. Sample both ways and see what looks good to you when exported to .mp4 file.

Thanks again

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post screen grab of Export Settings panel. Curious if perhaps the Sequence Setting is a lower resolution, in which case it doesn't matter if exporting as HD, damage is already done at that point using low-quality Sequence resolution.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply, Jeff!

The videos I'm starting off with are indeed not the best quality. When starting the project I just matched their sequence settings, as I've seen that be recommended in other threads. Also when I choose HD and then insert the videos, I get a warning that it doesn't match my sequence.

I'd still like at least the branding on it to be in best quality. The videos in lower quality is ok - it's fan/user generated content.

export settings.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I see the problem.  Your export settings are all wrong here.

Choose H.264 as the Format, and Match Settings - Adaptive High Bitrate as the preset.  You'll get much better results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when the Sequence is 960x540 - far less than "HD Quality" - that will be the "best" quality available, even if you later export as 1920x1080. Even high-resolution still photos are being brought down to 960x540, then that low-quality image is expanded back up to 1920x1080, thus the pixelated quality.

Also, you are changing frame rate from 29.97 to 23.976 - if you have video sources that are 29.97 then also export as 29.97, no reason to drop down to 23.976 then.

Before exporting anything, I would ask this question of yourself - WHERE is the exported video going, what is the intended delivery/destination? Don't just use some formula you found on the internet - there is no one export solution that is best for all needs. Let us know what you want to do with the completed video. For instance, under H.264 there are specific presets for YouTube, so if creating a video for YouTube you might simply choose one of those presets and don't touch any other settings.

"Render at Max Depth" is most likely of no benefit to your workflow, no need to check that box, probably just adds more render time unnecessarily.

Back to Sequence Settings, you might for instance choose AVCHD > 1080p29.97 as a starting point. When you add your smaller videos, they can be scaled up to fit that frame. Can be set to happen automatically in Preferences, or manually right-click a clip in timeline and use Set to Frame option. Same for the larger stills to make them fit.

At least with the still images that are larger to start with, you will retain full 1920x1080 HD quality when Sequence and Export settings both match. Not going down to 960x540 then back up again which destroys any quality.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that if most of your source videos are 960x540, you might find that they don't look so good at 1920x1080. You might consider a compromise of using a 720p29.97 Sequence, which is 1280x720 and is still considered as HD video. Your videos will be blown up a little bit, and still images will still look good as 720p. Sample both ways and see what looks good to you when exported to .mp4 file.

Thanks again

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to export for YouTube. Hence why I followed these steps: How To Export HD Video in Premiere Pro CC for YouTube and Vimeo | Who Is Matt? Matt Johnson | Filmma...  (where it describes the settings I mentioned earlier)

The video itself isn't really the issue tbh. It looks more or less really the same not matter which of these versions above I've tried - also the matching the sequence option that Jim suggested. I'd just like to have the logo and text sharply displayed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer, Jim!
When I do this, it goes from looking pixelated to looking blurry...
In both situations the video itself looks about the same. What I'm trying to achieve is a crisp logo/text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could change the logo resolution in Photoshop to match the desired size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried, but it's more a trial & error. I just don't know which size I exactly need.

I thought a typical 150px sized icon would be good, but in the video it was still too big and I had to rescale it smaller. How do I see in Premiere which resolution I need?
I find it confusing that I cannot set the settings of a new project how I want it, but that it adapts to the video I input. I have multiple videos from different devices. I cannot influence that, since it's user generated content from different devices and camera qualities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change sequence settings at any time.  You'll have to do the math to get the right size logo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did both you suggested. "match settings" and "resize in photoshop". It's much worse than before.

Any other tips, please?

atching sequence plus resizing logo in photoshop.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show your Export Settings for that last export.  What resolution was the logo?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use File > New > Sequence to create a new sequence, and then from the options listed, select AVCHD > 1080p > AVCHD 1080p30 (which is really 29.97 frames per second)

Next, when you add the first piece of media to the new sequence, if Premiere complains about settings not matching, just select Keep Settings. This will keep your original choice of the 1080p sequence without changing quality

As mentioned earlier, if you add an image or video clip to sequence and it does not properly fill the frame, right-click the clip and select Scale to Frame Size. Whether media is larger than or smaller than the sequence, it will be scaled to fit.

Regarding graphics overlays - best to make size match the sequence. So in Photoshop, create a 1920x1080 image, and size and position your graphic in that frame as you wish it to appear in the video. Then save as .psd or .png and import into Premiere. Since the graphic size already matches the video editing sequence, there will be no scaling/resizing applied and thus no loss of quality/pixelization/jaggies in Premiere. The overlay graphic should look very clean and sharp!

When ready to export for YouTube, select H.264 as Format and then under Preset, choose YouTube 1080p HD. Depending on Premiere version, preset might also be called YouTube 1080p29.97

Don't mess with any export settings, try the YouTube preset and see how it works for you as it is.

I would recommend creating a short test sequence using above workflow. Add a few short video clips, some graphics, then export and review the exported clip for quality. If all is well, then continue with that workflow. Never do a lengthy edit before first knowing that the workflow being used will provide the desired results.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused by the recommendations for 1920x1080 (or any HD) output when the source video appears to be 960X540. I may be issing something.

And getting the logo right will depend on the sequence settings.

Alex, if you export a 960x540, viewing it in a larger window will reduce the quality - and the logo will show it the most. So for testing, be sure the playback size is correct.

Do you mind the 960X540 if the logo were right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: why 1920x1080?

OP had stated: "I have multiple videos from different devices. I cannot influence that, since it's user generated content from different devices and camera qualities."

I have no reason to believe all clips are 960x540, rather that just happens to be first clip OP had used thus forcing Sequence into that (poor quality) setting to start with.

OP wants sharp graphics and delivery quality, thus my suggestion of the 1080p workflow. If indeed a majority of clips used are of lower quality, you will see in another post I did suggest 720p as a compromise option.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, I wouldn't mind the 960x540, as that's all I got and can't change that.

But the branding should be sharp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify, the reason your graphics look so rough is that regardless of how high the resolution of the original image, the moment you drop that image into the 960x540 sequence, your graphic is brought down to that quality and resolution. But then if you export at a resolution higher than the sequence, say 1920x1080, you are taking the graphic - which is now low resolution - and simply expanding/blowing up to 1080p. That is where the jaggies come from.

If you WANT to edit in a 960x540 sequence, fine, but then you should also export as 960x540, as exporting to any larger size is going to damage the quality.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not to add to the confusion, but I was thinking, if viewer is say using an HD display such as 1920x1080 to view your finished video, and that video is only 960x540....it is STILL getting blown up = losing quality. The 960x540 is not much better than SD quality. I still think you may be better off using at least 720p to edit and export, if not 1080p.

Yes, the video will be blown up a bit from original, but at least any titles/graphics will have "native" 720p quality = no loss to viewer. You keep saying you want sharp graphics and 960x540 is not going to be very sharp to viewers on HD screens.

Thanks

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Looking much better now. Thank you, Jeff!

Still not as sharp as it could be, I think, but I guess I'll have to tweak it a bit.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines